In the early 1870s if farmer who lived near Richmond couldn’t find what he wanted In Richmond, he usually drove out to Franktown in Lanark, about 14 miles away. Franktown in the 1870s was a live village of about 200 inhabitants.
From the vicinity of Franktown large quantities of hop poles were taken out, and thousands of railway ties as it was on the line of the Brockville and Ottawa railway. At least the road ran within a mile and a quarter of the town, and it had an office of the Canadian Express Co.
There were two general stores kept bv Robert Cavanagh and Richard Pierce. Mr. Cavanagh besides running a large store operated a shingle and saw mill. There were two hotels kept by William Moore and Thomas Clark. The village boasted no less than three doctors:
In the persons of Dr. William McRae, and Doctors Andrew J. Nelson, and George Nesbitt. There were three blacksmith, a cabinet maker, several shoemakers three coopers, a saddler, a tailor and a dressmaker. The postmaster was Ewan McEwan who was also a justice of the peace. There was also another justice of the peace called George Kidd.
FRANKTOWN – 1851 DIRECTORY
A Village situated in the Township of Beckwith, County of Lanark – distant from Carleton Place, 9 miles, from Perth 15 miles, from Smith’s Falls, 12 miles, from Bytown, 36 miles – usual stage fare to Bytown, 7s. 6d. – to Smith’s Falls, 2s. 6d. Population about 100.
ALPHABETICAL LIST F PROFESSIONS, TRADES, & c.
BURROWS, JAMES M., general store and hotelkeeper – travellers will find this a comfortable house, and moderate charges
Allan, Austin, wagonmaker
Bowles, James, carpenter
Hughson, John, general store and tavern
Lever, Robert, wagonmaker, and chair factory
Nesbitt, George, M.D.
Patfield, Rev. James, Church of England
Smith, Rev. —–, Church of Scotland