The Almonte Hospital Hoopla was held on Friday and Saturday with perfect weather but the attendance was not as large as last year. At this time the amount of the net proceeds is not available but will be published next week. Some 650 dinners were served on Saturday evening and very fine dinners they were. The results of the draw were: Electric dryer, Mrs. £. W. Smith, Ottawa; –-bicycle, Albert Gale, Almonte; steam iron, Mrs. Patrick Reilly, Ottawa; electric shaver Mrs. Toop, Almonte; Quilt, John Willard, Almonte; Rag Doll, Allan Cochrane, Almonte. A bride doll, donated by Joyce Olmsted was won by Mr Davidson of Ottawa. The rag doll was donated by Mrs. Hornsey and the quilt was also donated. June 2, 1960 Almonte Gazette
The Hoopla Committee of the Almonte Hospital Women’s Auxiliary has completed an estimate of the net proceeds of the event for this year. It is expected that the Hoopla Committee will be able to turn over to the Hospital Building Committee, $1300.00. Since all of the bills are not yet in, some expenses have been calculated as accurately as possible. However, the final figure will be very close to this amount. The Hoopla Committee general convenor was Mrs. C. Olmsted; Mrs. J. Coupland in charge of publicity; Mrs. G. Dunfield, treasurer; Mrs. J. Cameron assisted by Mrs. D. Faimey, smorgasbord; Mrs. G. Shaver, Hoopla draw tickets June 9 1960- Almonte Gazette
This postcard photo, taken in 1910, shows nurses on the steps of Rosamond Memorial Hospital. The current hospital was built in May 4, 1961, and the old hospital is now apartments. The first baby born in Rosamond Memorial was Victor Horton, first cousin of local store owners Stan Morton. Photo courtesy of Ruth More.The property known as the “Rosamond Memorial Hospital” was to be completed 1 November 1907—It was used as a Hospital from January 10, 1908 – May 31, 1961
The new Rosamond firm of 1866 began operations by buying the Island property of some sixteen acres and building its No. 1 Mill, then one of the finest in Canada. Bennett Rosamond (1833-1910) was elected president of the Canadian Manufacturers Association in 1890 and was Conservative Member of Parliament for North Lanark from 1892-1904. He was president of the Almonte Knitting Company and in 1909 donated the Rosamond Memorial Hospital to the town. He continued as head of the Rosamond Woollen Company until his death, when he was succeeded by Lieutenant Alex Rosamond (1873-1916).
Above is a picture of the new Almonte General Hospital which began serving the public on Thursday, May 4th. It is a very fine building with modern equipment and has a capacity of 42 beds. Built of red brick, the new hospital is only about half-a-block from the old one, a picture of which appears below
Above is a picture of the Rosamond Memorial Hospital which served Almonte for a great many years. As will be seen from the photograph it is a handsome building but, it only had a capacity of 15 beds although it often accommodated twice as many patients. But it had narrow corridors and had outlived its usefulness, according to modern hospital standards. It would make an excellent nursing home.