Almonte in the winter-Cameronian church…. Public Archives
07 Jul 1928
Mr. Young has reminiscences of the Cameronians, who In the sixties held services in a school house in Ramsay township. The Cameronians, who are very few in numbers in Canada now, were a fairly large sect in the sixties. The Cameronians were originally Presbyterians, but In 1680 broke away from the Church of Scotland, for a variety of reasons too numerous to mention here. Their leader was one Richard Cameron and was the “Associated Reform.” The Cameronians, as they became known, were noted for their rigid adherence to the simple forms of worship.
They were opposed to any form of music at the services, did not use hymns only the psalms and paraphrases were used. There is a well established Cameronlan church in Almonte now, but there was none in the sixties. The Cameronians, or Associated Reformers, are fairly numerous in the United States now.
In 1876 there came a disruption in the Cameronian ranks and the larger body joined the Presbyterians. But in the sixties, when Mr. Young was a young man, the Cameronians were still a united body and very active. Mr. Young tells that in the sixties the Cameronians of Ramsay had no regular ministers and their meetings were held in the schoolhouses. The only regular church was at Perth, 30 miles away. He recalls the case of one ardent Cameronian who used to ride on horseback every Saturday to Perth, attend the services there on Sunday, and return to his farm on Monday. The Cameronian services were very long. They lasted most of each Sunday.
John McCormack ran a tailor shop and Cooper Shop John Glover, operated a Cooper shop, and made firkins and pork barrels. There was no church at Bennies Comers, but in the sixties, the Cameronians used to hold services In the village school house as the nearest church was 4 miles from, the village. Bennie’s Comers once aimed to rival Almonte in the race for business supremacy, but lost out, as Almonte was on the railway.
The township’s Reformed or Cameronian Presbyterians moved their place of services in about 1867 to the former Canadian Presbyterian church on the Eighth Line, later building their present church facing the Mississippi’s Almonte Bay.