Carleton Place Herald 1897: Strange as it may appear, the false report that “diphtheria had broken out in Carleton Place” was only corrected when a man named McCaffery of Drummond about 15 miles from Carleton Place, drove into town with a boy named Jones, son of John Jones of Eganville, who said he was suffering from a sore throat.
He was taken to Dr. McFarlane’s office and after examination Dr. McFarlane pronounced the disease diphtheria and advised the man to remove the boy as soon as possible and gave him the necessary medical advice. The man left muttering something about leaving him in the hands of authorities and virtually abandoned him to the mercies of the doctor and the town of Carleton Place.
The former notified the Board of Health who – naturally feeling indignant abut the matter—took action at once, securing a vacant house on the outskirts of town which was converted into a hospital, secured a trained nurse and now after a week—we are pleased to inform our readers the little patient is doing well. It is rather unfortunate that the town should be made to shoulder a case of this kind from the outside.
Sulphur Candles for fumigating infected rooms and clothing in times of cholera, diphtheria, typhoid and scarlet fevers and all contagious diseases. The most powerful disinfectant known. Kills all insects. Destroys noxious vapours. When you wish to fumigate with sulphur, use these; no danger of fire, easily lighted, burns steadily. A most convenient article to have. Price 2 for 16 cents.
Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in The Townships Sun and the Sherbrooke Record and and Screamin’ Mamas (USA
Come and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read. Also check out The Tales of Carleton Place. Tales of Almonte and Arnprior Then and Now