LOCHEAD FAMILY OF LANARK COUNTY , ONTARIO
Submitted by the following descendants:
Janice D. Walcek
Miss Lochead 1894 no other information
The original immigrant family of William Lochead and his wife came in April of 1821 from Greenock , Scotland on the ship George Canning through the Lanark Society Settlers. William’s wife is known by some descendants to be Janet, by others Agnes. William and his wife were aged 30 and 28 and had the following children with them when they sailed: one male aged 3 and four females ages 11,9,5 and 1. William died before 1834 and his wife remarried. According to an 1834 report on the status of the settlers, it notes she remarried a man named Alex Trowe. One descendant has notes that show the name as Frier or Frur. Nothing further is known as to when or how she died or where she is buried.
One descendant has family history information that William’s wife was Janet, the daughter or granddaughter of Hugh McLeod, who came to the Carolinas before the American Revolution from the Isle of Skye and fought for the British, was captured and paroled to a family in Winchester , Virginia and then married that family’s daughter, Martha Crockwell. They went to Nova Scotia and later returned to Scotland .
Another descendant has information that is somewhat similar to the above, from a book belonging to Agnes Lochead and written about 1930 who references William’s wife as “Jane” and has her as the daughter of a “Col. McLeod”: Copied from a book belonging to Olive Pearl Harris, nee Currie. As written by her mother, Agnes Currie, nee Lochead about 1930.
“From the Isle of Sky came William Lochead of the Clan Lochead. He settled at Playfair ( Ontario , Canada ) and married Jane McLeod, daughter of Colonel McLeod who was with Wolfe at the taking of Quebec . William Lochead was also a soldier.”
The children of William Lochead and his wife Janet-or Agnes as known, are:
I. Robert—nothing is known about him, according to one descendant he was a minister.
II. Agnes Lochead, married Jacob Boulton March 12, 1832 .
III. Janet Lochead, who married Charles Patterson on August 1, 1837 . Their children:
A. Richard Patterson—Served in the U.S. military in the Philippines , Washington , D.C. and later Florida .
B. Robert Patterson-died in Calgary in 1895, per death certificate he died at the age of 40 of rheumatic fever, no mention in obituary of wife or children.
C. George Ephraim Patterson—lived in St. Catharines and later New York and California , buried in St. Catharines . Helped to invent the electric street car. Married Alice Ann Harris and later Isabel Carnochan. The children of George and Alice:
1. Alfred James-Pasadena , California
2. Gertrude Ida-St. Catharines
3. Edward George-Peterborough
4. Maud Patterson Wismer-Albany, Wisconsin , later moved to New York
5. Mary Patterson
6. John Charles-died Feb. 4, 1887 in St. Catharines
7. William Edgeworth, died Jan. 1, 1887 , St. Catharines , twin of John.
8. Mildred Ritchscer-Pasadena , California
D. William Patterson, Carleton Place , Ontario . Married Mary Ann Pattie. Children:
1. William Albert, died Oct. 15, 1926
2. Minnie, married William Simpson
3. Charles, died June 11, 1932
4. Joseph W. married, Ella Flegg
5. David Pattie, died March 11, 1921 .
6. Jennie, married Richard Woolley
E. Albert Patterson, Cleveland , Ohio . Married Phoebe Cunningham. Children:
1. Harry, born 1873, died young.
2. Albert, died young.
3. Roscoe C.
4. Charles A., born 1875
F. Liza Patterson, married George Francis, Albany , Wisconsin . Children:
1. John Francis, married Addie Carver, then Nora Nelson-Sarasota, Florida .
2. Charles Francis, married Wilma Jenny, moved to California
3. Jennie, married Morris Murray, moved to California .
4. Emma (born 8-22-1865 , died 2-5-1951 ), married John Tilley ( 8-23-1855 to 1947), lived in Albany , Wisconsin .
a. Bird Tilley married Adolph Meinert
i. Harry Meinert (born Albany , Wisconsin ),married Elaine Osmundson
ii. Christine Meinert married Robert Spencer
5. Arthur, married, Alpha Graves , moved to Janesville , Wisconsin .
6. Jessie, married Arthur Partridge, moved to Cleveland , Ohio
7. Wilford Francis
8. Bird Francis, married Gene Griffin, Albany , Wisconsin
9. Nora Francis, married, Harry Atherton, Albany , Wisconsin
G. Martha Patterson, married William Wilson, then Robert Cavanagh, Balderson’s Corners, Lanark County , Ontario . Children:
1. Dr. W. Wilson, Edmonton as of 1922
2. Mrs. J. A. Goth, Regina
3. Miss Evelyn Wilson, Stamford , Connecticut
Miss Lochead 1895 no other information
IV. Martha Lochead, married David Rowat Dec. 15, 1837 , lived in Arnprior, buried in Perth . Known children:
A. Agnes, born June 12, 1844
B. William, born Oct. 10, 1846
V. William Lochead, born in Playfair, Lanark County , Ontario in 1826. Married, in 1847 in Lanark Township , Lanark County , Ontario , Jane Stewart or Stuart. It was stated in his obituary in 1908 that he and Jane had 13 children, and two boys and a girl died young. Known children:
A. Jane, born in 1849, who married T. R. Bulloch of Hopetown. She died in maturity before her father.
1. Robert Bulloch
2. William Bulloch
3. Jane Bulloch
4. Thomas Allan Bulloch
5. John Bulloch
6. Janet Bulloch
7. George Bulloch
8. Charles Bulloch
9. Agnes Bulloch
10. Bella Bulloch
11. James Bulloch
B. Martha Matilda, 1851 to 1913. She married James Penman, 1848 to 1927. She was living in Kingsley , Manitoba as of her father’s death in 1908.
1. Jean Stewart Penman, born in 1883.
2. Sarah Ann (Saidee) Penman, born 1884.
3. Emma Ruth Penman, 1885-1916
4. Agnes McIlraith Penman, born 1885.
5. William Lochead Penman, born 1888
6. Marion Mathilda Penman, 1891-1960. She married Nathaniel Campbell McNair, 1886-1985.
a. Ina Marion McNair, born 1921, married Charles Albert Lloyd, 1919-1972.
i. Laurie James Nathaniel Lloyd.
ii. Lois June Lloyd
iii. Ronald Owen Spencer Lloyd
b. Almer Nathaniel McNair, born 1923, married Norah Muriel Paine, born 1927.
i. Norah Lee Campbell Alice McNair, married Phillippe Jacques Alexandre Beauchemin.
a. Alexi Norah McNair Beauchemin.
ii. Roderick John Campbell McNair
iii. David George Campbell McNair
c. Bernice June McNair, born 1924, married Thomas Rees Passey.
i. Gordon Rees Passey
7. John Stuart Penman, born 1895.
8. Charles Penman
C. John Lochead, born in 1856, living at Vancouver , B.C. as of his father’s death in 1908
D. George Lochead, born 1858, living at Yelm , Washington as of his father’s death in 1908.
E. William Lochead, born 1860, and died in maturity in the Philippines , before his father.
F. Robert, born in 1863, who died in maturity at Ashland , before his father. Descendants are uncertain where Ashland is, it may have been Montana .
G. Agnes, born 31 Aug. 1865, (per one record) or 1867 (per 1881 census) who married Stewart Currie on 23 Sept., 1885 at Brightside, Lanark County, Ontario, and was living in Saskatoon as of her father’s death in 1908. Agnes died 16 May, 1941 in Saskatoon , Saskatchewan . Stewart was born 27 May, 1860 in Lamermoore, Lanark County , Ontario and died 5 Aug., 1939 in W. Vancouver , B.C. Canada
1. William Daniel Currie, born 14 March, 1886 , Brightside, Lanark County , Ontario and died 28 Feb., 1951 in North Vancouver , B.C. He married Effie King in 1908.
a. Ruth Currie
b. Ethel Currie
c. Mary Currie, married Toby Bulloch
d. James Currie
2. Annie Jane Currie, born 27 May, 1887 , Mud Lake , Lanark County , Ontario . She died 9 Oct., 1976 at Penticton , B.C. She married William James Forsyth on 2 July, 1907 .
a. Agnes Forsyth
b. Ada Forsyth
c. Benjamin Robert Forsyth
Married Kay Conboy
i. Audrey Forsyth
ii. Robert George Forsyth
iii. Sharon Forsyth
d. Alex Forsyth
e. Stewart Clifford Forsyth
f. George Elwood Forsyth
married Dorene Lucas
i. Anne Forsyth
ii. Brian Elwood Forsyth
iii. Leslie James Forsyth
iv. Arnold David Forsyth
g. Anna Forsyth
married, Edgar E. Elliott
i. Sharon L. Elliott
ii. Carolyn Ann Elliott
iii. Waldo Ernest Elliott
iv. Edgar Melford Elliott
v. Nancy Jane Elliott
vi. Harold Stewart Elliott
h. Leslie Forsyth
i. Jack Forsyth
3 George Currie, born 25 Nov., 1888/89 , Mud Lake , Lanark County , Ontario and died in 1968 in W. Vancouver , B.C. He married Jessie Thompson on 31 Dec. 1914 in Arelee , Saskatchewan .
a. Margaret Currie
b. Marian Currie
c. Lucille Currie
d. Stewart Currie
e. Jean Currie
f. Jean Currie
g. Robert Currie
4. John Lochead Currie, born 25 Sept., 1891
Delorine , Manitoba , died 7 May, 1914 .
5. Edna Ethel Currie, born 5 July, 1893 , Mud Lake , Lanark County , Ontario , died in Oct., 1950 Beaverlodge , Alberta
Married Vince Meraw 17 May, 1917 .
a. Maurice Meraw
b. Joyce Meraw
c. Howard Meraw
d. Harry Meraw
e. Betty Meraw
f. Patsy Meraw
g. Diane Meraw
6. Matthew Ross Currie, born 23 Sept., 1895/96 Lamermoore, Lanark County , Ontario
Married Eva Jane Woods 11 Feb., 1920 , Ottawa , Ontario
a. Thomas Roderick Charles Currie
b. Rita Muriel Currie
c. William Alfred Currie
d. Ethel May Currie
e. Hazel Eileen Currie
f. John Stewart Currie
g. Kenneth Matthew Currie
h. Eva Joyce Currie
7. Olive Pearl Currie, born 28 Jan., 1897 in Lanark , Ontario and died 12 June, 1961 in Saskatoon , Saskatchewan . She married Alexander Harris, born 9 July, 1891 in Earlville, LaSalle County , Illinois and died 3 April, 1947 in Saskatoon , Saskatchewan . Their marriage date was 25 Jan., 1917 .
a. Aleta Hazel Harris, born Saskatoon , Saskatchewan .
b. Mildred Joyce Harris, born Saskatoon , Saskatchewan .
c. John Alexander Harris, born Saskatoon , Saskatchewan .
Married Darlene Ellen Lindberg
i. John Alexander Harris
ii. Mary Ellen Harris
iii. Thomas Arthur Harris
iv. Nancy Darlene Harris
v. Robert David Harris
vi. Elisabeth Ann Harris
vii. Lynda Jane Harris
d. Olive Jean Harris, born in Saskatoon , Saskatchewan . She married Everett Gerald Wood, M.D., born in Biggar , Saskatchewan .
i. Janice Dawne Wood, born in Saskatoon , Saskatchewan . She married Emil Joseph Walcek, Jr., who was born in South Bend , Indiana . They were married in North Hollywood , California
a. Erin Jean Walcek, born in Atlanta , Georgia
b. Sean Joseph Walcek, born in Atlanta , Georgia
c. Heather Leigh Walcek, born in Atlanta , Georgia
ii. Jo Ann Wood, born in Saskatoon , married John Robert Russell in North Hollywood , California
a. John Alexander Russell
b. James Gerald Russell
c. Joel Jordan Russell
iii. Susan Leigh Wood, born Vancouver , B.C., married Steven Alan Marek in Sunland , California
a. Wendy Leigh Marek
b. Scott Alan Marek
iv. Darcy Jean Wood, born Vancouver , B.C. Married Michael Albert Moore in Chicago , Illinois .
a. Olivia Jean Moore
b. Justine Ann Moore
c. Emmett Michael Moore
v. David Scott Wood, married Joan Kenegos in Sunland , California .
a. Alex Joseph Wood
b. Emma Marie Wood
vi. Michael John Wood, married Tina Louise LePage in Sunland , California
a. Lauren Amanda Wood
e. Nola Dawn Harris, born in Saskatoon , Saskatchewan . She married Joseph John Harrington.
i. Leah Dawn Harrington
ii. Kelly Alexander Harrington
iii. Christopher Todd Harrington
f. Mary Carol Harris, born Saskatoon , Saskatchewan . She married Donald John Paul.
i. Karen Dawn Paul
ii. Terri Ann Paul
iii. Donald Francis Paul
g. Myrna Grace Harris, born Saskatoon , Saskatchewan . She
married William Niece
8. Emma Gertrude Currie, born 10 August, 1899 at Lamermoore, Lanark County , Ontario . She married Donald MacDonald
a. Beverly McDonald
b. Bruce McDonald
c. Neil McDonald
9. Otto Stewart Currie, born 24 June, 1900 , Lamermoore, Lanark , Ontario . He married Margaret McCarthy
a. Olive May Currie
b. Mary Ellen Currie
c. Shirley Agnes Currie
d. Margaret Jean Currie
10. Arthur Thomas Currie, born 24 June, 1900 , Lamermoore, Lanark,
Ontario . He married Ethel Rose Palmer
a. Douglas Malcolm Currie
b. Kathleen Currie
11. Hazel Agnes Currie, born 24 Sept., 1901 , Lamermoore, Lanark , Ontario . She married Terrance Michael Gannon
12. Lorna Mary Currie, born 28 March, 1905 , Lamermoore, Lanark , Ontario .
H. James, born in 1865, living at Baker, Washington as of his father’s death in 1908.
I. Charles, born in 1869, living at Brightside , Ontario as of his father’s death in 1908.
J. Emily Jane, born in 1870, who married W. L. McDonald, and was living in Deloraine, Manitoba Canada as of her father’s death in 1908.
K. Baby Boy
L. Baby Boy
M. Baby Girl
There are two other Lochead families in Lanark County on the 1881 census, living in Almonte, we are unsure if they are related to the above. William Lochead is 80 years old, a retired minister born in Scotland in 1801. His wife, Anna, is 79, born in Scotland in 1802. They are both Presbyterian. D.C. Lochead, who I suppose is William and Anna’s son, is 45, a merchant born in 1836 in the United States . He is also Presbyterian. His wife, Mary, is 32, born in 1849 in Ontario . Her ethnic origin in English. William, their son, is 10, born in 1871 in Ontario ; their daughter Eva is 5, born in 1876 in Ontario ; and their son Daniel is 3, born in 1878 in Ontario.
Bullochs in Hopetown Cemetery Click here..
Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in The Townships Sun andScreamin’ Mamas (USA)