Almonte Gazette– November 1 1901
Among the settlers who came to Lanark County in 1821 was a little girl named Grace Patterson, daughter of James and Jane Patterson, who with their family had left their home in Kilbride, Scotland, and had come to Lanark County to hew out for themselves a home in the primeval forest.
The family consisted of five boys and two girls, the last surviving one of whom the subject of this sketch was laid, to rest in the cemetery on Saturday last having attained a ripe old age of 85 years.
Born in Kilbride in 1816, she was only a lass of 5 years when the party arrived at Lanark Village, at that time the port of entry for the northern’ townships of the county, and she had a distinct recollection of the women and children being billeted in tents and wigwams in Lanark, while their fathers were absent locating their lands and preparing places of shelter for their loved, ones.
Her parents settled on a farm in the 2nd concession of the township of Ramsay, occupied by John Robertson. In 1837 she married William Affleck and removed to the township of Lanark where she lived until her demise on the 24th.
Fifty-six years s.go her husband was thrown from horseback and killed, and she was left alone to battle with the hardships of pioneer life and to rear her family of five little children. Her family consisted of Robt. P., of Pilot Hound, Man., (deceased) ; William, of Washington Territory: Jane, wife of A. B. Yuill, of Hopetown, and James and Maggie on the homestead.
Her grandchildren numbered 22 and her grandchildren 19. She was devoted and a consistent member of the Congregational church and the funeral services were conducted by Rev. D. McCallum assisted by Rev. W. S. Smith. The large concourse of friends and acquaintances who showed their tribute of respect to the memory of the departed.
The Patterson Family of Lanark County , Ontario
Submitted by Linda Jordan
George Patterson came to Canada with his regiment, the 37th Regiment of Foot, during the War of 1812. He was born in Perth, Perthshire, Scotland May 15, 1782 and was baptized on September 19, 1782. He married Ann Marigold, who was from Worcestershire, England. George Patterson received a grant of land in Bathurst on Lot 14, Concession 5. He later moved into Perth, where he worked as a shoemaker. The children of George and Ann are shown below briefly. CLICK HERE