Drawing by Paula Lentz Grade 6–circa 80s
This was an old early 80’s book I rescued at the St. John’s Rummage Sale in Perth. Missing a back cover and in bad shape but still has lots of love to share.
Chocolate Marshmallow Clusters– Fruit and Nut Clusters–Drew Gray Kindergarten Class–circa 80s
- 1 can Eagle Brand
- 1 (12 oz.) pkg.
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 3 c. miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 c candied cherries
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Combine Eagle Brand milk and chocolate chips and peanut butter in large saucepan.
- Allow chips to melt over very low heat, stirring constantly until chips are melted and mixed completely. Let cool until lukewarm, gradually fold in marshmallows, raisins and candied cherries until covered with chocolate.
- Spoon onto waxed paper ( lightly spread some butter on the wax paper, so no sticking) in small clusters.
- Let stand at room temperature, then chill in refrigerator to set.
Illustration by John Wright Grade 5 –Circa 80s
Easy Oatmeal Bread– Mrs. Elizabeth Mittler- Kindergarten Teacher
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2/3 cup Molasses
- 6 cups flour
- In a large bowl combine butter, salt and rolled oats.
- Pour the 2 cups of boiling water over the rolled oats mixture. Cool to lukewarm.
- In a small bowl combine the 1 cup warm water and sugar. Stir in yeast then add to the cooled oat mixture.
- Mix in molasses.
- Gradually add flour. (You may need to turn the dough out onto the counter to incorporate the final cup or two of flour.)
- Divide dough in half, shape into loaves and place in two greased loaf pans.
- Cover with a clean dishtowel and let rise until doubled in bulk (about 1.5 hours, but really depends on how warm your kitchen is).
- Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes to an hour, until loaves sound hollow when tapped.
- Remove from pans to cool.
Clipped from The Ottawa Journal, 29 Jun 1977, Wed, Page 61
Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in The Townships Sun and Screamin’ Mamas (USA)
Come and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read. Also check out The Tales of Carleton Place.
“Get it On” — Banging Cookies Recipe–This Will Feel Wrong, but Trust Me!
The Invincible Ginger Snap Cookies of Carleton Place
Memories of Woolworths and Chicken in a Van
Slow Cooker Boston Baked Beans–Lanark County Recipes
Easy Christmas Cake- Lanark County Recipes
Holiday Popcorn– Lanark County Recipes
Granny’s Maple Fudge —Lanark County Recipes
Albert Street Canasta Club Chilled Pineapple Dessert
Recipes from Lanark County–Glazed Cranberry Lemon Loaf
Gum Drop Cake — Lanark County Holiday Recipe
Who Stole the Cookies from the Cookie Jar? Pastry Chef Ben White
“Sex in the Pan” Memories – A RIP Fashion Violation Photo Essay
Katherine Hepburn Did Eat Brownies
I Want Them to Bite into a Cookie and Think of Me and Smile