On the left side of Sherbrooke Street next to the corner of Herriott Street was the site of the demolished Drill Hall (1870-1905), where the Fencibles militia trained. This building was used for many town community activities, including skating in winter, band practices and dances. In 1905 H.K. Wampole & Co. built a 4-storey factory to produce a new tasteless extract preparation of cod liver and other pharmaceutical products. The factory was demolished in 1963 when the Company moved to a modem complex on Dufferin Street along #7 Highway. However in 1991 it was sold and in 1994 Rhone Poulenc of France moved (the business) to Montreal. (The 1931 one-storey, brick annex Wampole box factory is now Grant Edmonds’ Enterprises Ltd. Printing.) –A Walking Tour of Perth – Tour 4
Henry K Wampole Company established in Perth in 1905. The original building situated near the Jergen’s Factory and the Perth Shoe Factory, later the Brown Shoe Factory, close to the Perth Railway Station. Wampole’s later moved to a modern building in the late 1960’s situated on HWY 7. That building has since been torn down.
Almonte Gazette January 30 1920
The Wampole Company is having plans prepared for an immense new building to their plant which will be erected next spring. It will be four stories, on Herriott street, adjoining their present laboratory, and a number of new lines will fee manufactured.
June 7 1912 Perth Courier
“Perth will have another new industry. For some time, negotiations have been in progress between Henry K. Wampole & Co. of Cincinnati, Ohio to take care of the Canadian business for the Jergens company. The Jergens company is the second largest manufacturer in the United States of high class toilet soaps.. the two companies are coming together to handle the soap, perfume and toilet business in Canada. A new company, with headquarters as Perth, is being incorporated to be known as the Andrew Jergens Co. Limited.”
Perth Courier, September 7, 1942
Pte. Edward D. Young Passed Away in England
Town Clerk Ed Young and Mrs. Young received a cable from overseas on Wednesday conveying the sad news that their son Pte. Edward D. Young had died in England that morning. A member of the postal corps, Pte Young had been overseas only a few months; enlisting about ten months ago, he left Ottawa with an overseas contingent early in April. In his last letter to his parents, Pte. Young mentioned that he was not enjoying as good health as usual but there was no further word of his being so seriously ill until the receipt of the cable on Wednesday announcing his demise. Pte. Young was born at Perth 27 years ago; he received his education here and about four years ago joined the local post office staff; for the past two years he had been on the night staff of the local office and was a permanent member of the civil service. Remaining to mourn his loss besides his sorrowing parents are six sisters, Miss Edna Young of the Wampole Company staff; Helen, Mrs. Frank Clyne of New York; Natalie, Mrs. John Flett of Perth; Marie, Mrs. Quentin J. Guilet(?) of Ottawa; Veronica, Mrs. Gerald Young of Ottawa and Miss Carmel Young of the local post office staff.
Clipped from Vancouver Daily World, 21 Feb 1907, Thu, Page 13
Clipped from The Ottawa Journal, 29 Jul 1961, Sat, Page 22
Come and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read. Also check out The Tales of Carleton Place.
Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in The Townships Sun andScreamin’ Mamas (US
That was quite the manufacturing compound. At one time, when both Jergens and Wampoles were thriving, there was a tunnel constructed under Herriott Street connecting the buildings. They shared Lab staff and this allowed them to move back and forth without battling the elements in February.
The architect of the Jergens building is unknown. However, it’s resemblance to Wampoles and the Tayside Mills might lead one to reference William Frye Colwill from the Guelph area who is the authenticated architect for the Tayside Mills, demolished in the 1980’s. It is highly likely the exterior was constructed of Perth brick formed in the The Brick Yard, as locals still refer to the area, was in full operation and just across the river. Only one of the buildings remains. It is now home to the Children’s Aid.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks Cheryl– I will post this on the LCGS tomorrow. HUGG