Perth Courier, Sept. 22, 1933
Plan of Lanark Village and other Townships, 1827, with names
(Donated to the Perth Museum by T. Arthur Rogers of Perth) This plan, dated Surveyor General’s Office, Toronto, June, (year illegible), and is signed by John Macaulay, Surveyor General. The names of the east and west (approximate) streets were Argyle, Prince, George, York and Canning while Hillier, Clarence, and Owen ran at right angles to these. Most of the lots had the names of the owner written thereon and the dates on which the patents had been issued. James Mair was at that time the largest property owner with 14 lots in his name while William Mair was down for one. These were all dated July and August, 1845.
John Hall, Esq., had five lots (1843-44-45); J.R. Gemmell, one, 1844; Jas. McLaren, one 1845 and the Baptist Society with two lots (date illegible). The Caldwells do not appear to have yet arrived on the scene but in 1830(?) Boyd Caldwell and Co. founded the woolen mill which was the principal support of the village during the succeeding half century.
Set of Maps or Plans of the Townships of Lanark County, with the exception of Dalhousie, Ramsay, Beckwith and North Sherbrooke which are missing. Like the plan of Lanark Village, the names of the then owners and dates on which they had been granted are inscribed on the occupied lands. Some mention of these names may be of interest to descendents of these pioneers many of whom are living on the original locations. For this purpose each township will be taken in its turn.
www.bytown.net… Map of Drummond Township, Lanark County, Ontario, Canada, in 1879
On the first concession we find the names of such well known pioneers as Dr. Thom, A. Fraser, J.T. and R.(?) James, Nathaniel and William Stedman, J. Hand and James Bell. On the 2nd Concession (the part within the town of Perth)—Col. Taylor, Capt. Marshall, Greenly, Harris, Malloch, and Haggart and going eastward C.H. Sache, Henry J.T.&R, William StedmanR.(?) or N.(?) James and Thomas Hands (1855) On Concession 3—R. Greenel, B. Glen, James and W. Morris, Sutton Frisell, J. McPhail, John Tatlock (1851), T. Doyle, Michael and John Foy (1853). On Concession 4 Thomas Poole, J. Richmond, J. King (view the 1830(?) grant of the east half of Lot 12 in the museum), W. Morris, Hon. R. Matheson, T.M. Radenhurst. On Concession 5 Martin Doyle (1853(?)), G. Richmond, Charles Devlin. On Concession 6, D. Macnee, D. Campbell, P. Campbell, T. Bothwell, W. Thompson, and James Codd (Code). On Concession 7, D. Campbell, F. McIntyre, T. Whyte, P. Campbell (Beech Groove Lot 6, birth place of Archibald Campbell, Sr., and now owned by the Carr-Thompson family), McGarry, W. Shaw, J.&D. McLaren. Concession 8, J. Balderson (of Balderson’s Corners), T.&J. Richardson, W. Fraser, T.&W. Stedman, W., M.J. & G. Gould, J. McLenaghan, and P. Sinclair. Concession 9(?) (paper shows “IV” must be misprint) J. McIntyre, C. Campbell, J&W. Tullis, P. McIntyre, P. McTavish, (initial illegible) and N. McLanaghan, D. & J. Robertson. Concession 10(?) J. Campbell, J. Cuthbertson, W. & J. McIlquham. Concession 11 J. McIlquham, R. Matheson, Esq. (1846?) Concession 12 L. Drysdale (1845?), Hon. Malcolm Cameron (East(?) Lot 9, Concession 12 and west ½(?) Lot 13, all dated 1845 and north of the Mississippi River)
RootsWeb – Ancestry.com Bathurst Twp.
Concession 1(?) (West to East along the Scotch Line) Robert Boarnes(?), Anthony Katz, John & William Ritchie, James and John Bryce, Thomas McLean, S.(?) Wilson, heir of George Wilson, A. & James Fraser, Alexander Dodds, Jas. Boarnes(?), T. Cuddie, Francis Allan, William Old, t. Consitt, John Adams, Jas. Allan.
Captain Adams owned Lot 21 (1847) and west ½ of Lot 20 on Concession (number not listed) while Thomas Manion was on Lot 17, Concession 3(?)
- Cameron, Esq., had the west ½ of Lot 13,Concession 5; John Doran had been granted Lot 1 on Concession 3(?) (at the west end of Bennett’s Lake) on July 4, 18?7) (Transcriber’s note, the third digit in the last date was illegible). W.A. Playfair owned lots 22 and 23 on Concession 12(?) and John P. Playfair got Lot 21, Concession 12 in 18?? (last two numbers illegible)./
Christies Lake was then called Myers Lake and its outlet to the Tay River.
The fourth concession south of Rideau Lake were still vacant. J. McVeity was located on the north shore of Rideau Lake on Oct. 8, 1846. Patrick King, ditto in the same year. Thomas Dudgeon, ditto, 1850 and J. Beveridge the next year. William Croskery and Rev. M. Harris each had a half lot on Lot 27, Concession 9 north of Otty Lake. This place is inscribed “Surveyor General’s Office Kingston Jan. 11, 1844. True copy, signed Thomas Parks”
www.bytown.net–Map of North Burgess Township, Ontario, Canada, in 1879
Prior to the “Irish Invasion” George McCullen(?) McCulloch(?) secured 87 acres at the west end of Otty Lake in 1845. Alexander Cameron got the east half of Lot 5 Concession (number illegible) and the south portion of the west half of the same lot in 1849 and George Palmer obtained Lot 10, Concession (illegible) in 18??(illegible). John Holliday, Sr., was down for the Clergy Lot 3(?) in the 9th (?) Concession. Between 1850(?) and 1859(?) the following Irish settlers arrived on the scene coming largely from the counties of Down and Armagh: Messrs. James O’Connor, Pat Booker(?), Sam Chaffey, Pat Kelly, T. Donnelly, James Deacon, Thomas and William Ryan, Felix Bennett, Francis O’Hare, John Doran, Jas. Lappen, Bernard Farrell, Bernard Byrnes, Peter Power, Pat O’Neill, John Farry(?)Parry(?), Patrick McParland, Michael McNamee, M. Byrnes, Jas. Byrnes, John McVeigh. Black Lake was then called Salmon Lake and its outlet was the Salmon River. Hon. R. Matheson owned lots at both Otty and Rideau Lakes. Dr. James Wilson held the east (?) half of Lot 2, Concession 2(?)3(?) (west side of Otty Lake), John Oatway had lot 23(?) 22(?) Concession 10 (1852(?)1862(?) and T.B. and William Scott secured land on the Upper Scotch Line in 18??(illegible). However, about half the township was still open for settlement.
RootsWeb – Ancestry.com—-South Sherbrooke Twp.
Hon. William Morris and Dr. Wilson owned Lots 18, 19, 20, on Concession 2(?) on the north shore of Myers (now Christies) Lake—the location of the Christie Lake Iron Mine. And these two Perthites likewise held hundreds of acres of adjacent ground—probably to protect possible extensions of their iron deposits. There were many Corry (or Korry), Deacon, and Elliott holders and Hon. R. Matheson, John Playfair, William Lees, and Thomas Brooke had sundry lots.
Its principle feature is the River Clyde which intersects its western part from north to south. Such names as James Mair (1845), G. Watt, John Close, Robert Robertson, Patrick McNaughton, Robert Craig, Jas. Rankin, Neil McCallum, Alexander Stewart, Alexander Yuill (1858(?)) and J.W. Anderson indicates its Scottish character.
About the middle of the last century the Dickson family appears to have been the largest land owners here. Samuel Dickson is credited with 850 acres or more while Andrew Dickson (the third sheriff of the District of Bathurst) held 650 acres and Robert James and William Dickson some more. The Hilliard and Combs(?) farms were also extensive holders as were James Wylie, William Wylie, Hon. William Morris, and James and Alexander Snedden (1858 and 1853).
With the exception of the large holders probably in connection with lumbering operations of Boyd and Alexander Caldwell, William McKey and John Gillies, this township appears to have been practically unsettled during the 1850’s.
Like Lavant, this area seems to have been given up to lumbering operations, sundry lots being held by Messrs. James Gillies, and Peter McLaren (1856), Alexander Caldwell (1855), Robert Haley (1846(?)), C. Henry Bell (1856(?)) and M. Cameron.
www.bytown.net Map of Montague Township, Ontario, Canada, in 1879
Mostly vacant but Patrick Gilhuly had Lot 27, Concession 7 (1841) and J.G. Malloch owned part of Lot 27, Concession 3(?) (1856)
Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in The Townships Sun and Screamin’ Mamas (USA)