Carleton Place Then and Now–Bridge Street Series– Volume 1– Canadian Tire to The Moose

Standard
Carleton Place Then and Now–Bridge Street Series– Volume 1– Canadian Tire to The Moose

carletoncl1.jpg

Volume 2 has now started– CLICK HERE

Every day something new will be added…

6 Bridge Street Carleton Place

Screenshot 2017-05-22 at 13.jpg

Now

2310072.jpg

Photo from John Armour

Then

Canadian Gas Bar–6 Bridge Street Carleton Place

This land was part of the original land grant from the Crown to Edmond Morphy. In
1839 Edmond’s son Edmond owned the land. This lot was divided and passed
through many hands before it became Major Hooper and his wife’s residence in
1920. Hooper’s residence was referred to as the Raloo Cottage.

Major Hooper’s wife before she was married was Mabel McNeely. It remained in the hands of the Hooper Family until 1954 when McColl Frontenac Oils purchased the land. A gas bar and convenience store has been at this location ever since and today it is a Canadian Tire Gas Bar.

Major Hooper became Postmaster in 1920 until his retirement in 1950. During
Hooper’s time if office many changes occurred. He had control of the clerk for the
position of Telegraph operator until the telegraph service moved to its own building.

Peter Iveson- Aunt Craig, Mrs. James Craig lived at Lake and Bridge across the street, I remember the white house being torn down about 1957 and the garage station built.

Related Reading

Before the Canadian Tire Gas Bar There Was..

Mississippi Hotel –7 Bridge Street, Carleton Place

Screenshot 2017-05-23 at 09.jpg

NOW

hotel4 (1).jpg

THEN

Mississippi Hotel –7 Bridge Street, Carleton Place

The land was originally deeded in 1824 to Willliam Morphy one of Carleton Place’s first settlers. It was built by Napoleon Lavallee who operated it as a hotel and place for public and council meetings until 1883. Lavallee also owned and operated the Carleton House later called the Leland Hotel from 1846-70. As a major part in the life of Carleton Place, The Mississippi Hotel continued to operate as a hotel and entertainment centre under the ownership of W. Clyde McIlquham. It was built by Napoleon Lavallee and was opened by him in 1872 and he operated the hotel until 1883. Lavallee came to Carleton Place from Montreal in the early 1830s and first worked as a cooper and soon became part owner of a cooperage building.

Prior to the hotel’s construction, Lavallee owned and operated the Carleton House later called the Leland Hotel from its opening day in 1846 until 1870 – excluding 1852-3 when he and his wife Sarah were in Australia and California. When he returned to Carleton Place in 1853, Lavallee established a lime manufacturing enterprise on Napoleon Street, which he operated until 1889. He also built a large frame house on the corner of Lake Avenue West and Napoleon Street in 1881.

In 1883, he sold it to Walter McIlquham who operated it until his death in 1907. His son then succeeded him as owner and operated it until 1959. Some accounts of the history of the building describe it as being used to entertain the popular television personality “Juliette” in 1867 when she was called onto present some local awards. Apparently, a crowd of 1200 was fed and entertained in the building, hosted by such local dignitaries such as the mayor of the time Howard McNeely and Mary Cook.

Walter McIlquham purchased the Mississippi from Lavallee in 1883 and seven years later doubled its size to 56 rooms. A 1902 news item reports that William Willoughby a local stone mason was involved in the construction of the addition. In 1907, Walter’s son W. Clyde took over operations when Walter died.
In 1959, there was a disastrous fire and with the new renovations the top storey and extensive two storey verandahs were removed. David and Lorraine Lemay from Kemptville purchased the hotel in 1959 for $30,000. Lorraine Lemay was the new owner when the doors reopened in about 1964. Lemay was a great supporter of country music and was later inducted into the Ottawa valley Country Music Hall of Fame as a promoter of country music. From 1964-88 the building operated as a popular country and western establishment featuring well known entertainers from around the Ottawa Valley including Stompin’Tom Connors.Lemay was at the helm of the operation until 1985 when she sold the business to Brian Carter.

During the late 1980s that the idea was proposed to renovate the Mississippi Hotel, so the Town Hall could be established here. However, the plan did not come to realization. During the earlier 1990s Brian Carter obtained a demolition permit because the hotel had been closed and on the market for almost two years. The only offers for purchase were coming in from oil companies wanting to tear down the Mississippi to put a gas station. Stompin’ Tom Connors wrote a letter expressing his grief at the thought of the Mississippi being torn down when all it needed was a “facelift.” Connors played at the Mississippi and said the people of Carleton Place took him in as one of their own.

In 1995 Barbara Wynne-Edwards purchased the Mississippi and renamed it The Graystones Inn. In 1996 Gerald Weller became the owner of The Graystones and changed the name to the Carleton Place Heritage Inn. In 2002 the troubles did not end for the Carleton Place Heritage Inn as it had to close its doors once more. There were plans to turn the much-loved hotel into a senior citizen retirement home. The owner at that time was Tony Kechican who purchased the hotel in 2000 from Weller.

The Seccaspina family bought it in 2010 and operated it in until 2014 when the Angelo Seccaspina died. However, with that being said the hotel was sold in 2017 and will now continue to operate as The Grand Hotel serving fine food and overnight accommodations to travelers, which was its main intent as it was all along.
Related Reading

Romancing the Mississippi Hotel

Murders and Mysteries of the Mississippi Hotel

Thieves at the Mississippi Hotel–When Crime Began to Soar

All About Lorraine Lemay –Mississippi Hotel

Architecture Stories: The Hotel that Stompin’ Tom Connors Saved

The Napoleon of Carleton Place

Grandma’s Butterscotch Pie

Mississippi Hotel Beer — Brading’s Beer

In the Mississippi Hotel Mood with Mrs. Glen Miller

The Mystery Murals of The Queen’s and Mississippi Hotel

Burnin’ Old Memories –The Mississippi Hotel Fire

Romancing the Mississippi Hotel in 1961

Where Was Linda? A Necromancer Photo Blog -Victorian Seance at the Mississippi Hotel

Spooky Night at the Seccaspina Hotel

David McIntosh –Front Desk Man at the Mississippi Hotel

Ray Paquette’s Memories- McNeely and the Mississippi Hotel and Doughnuts?

As Good As New–33 Bridge Street Carleton Place

amayhew.jpg

Then

Screenshot 2017-05-21 at 19.jpg

Now

As Good As New–33 Bridge Street Carleton Place

In 1820 this was part of the 100-acre land grant to Edmond Morphy. Like many of the other properties on Bridge Street, it passed through a number of different owners. In 1872, a Robier sold the land to Cuthbert who in turn sold it to Kurrich or Kurrick. In 1879, the property was sold to John Gillies and in 1885 Gillies sold it to Bertha Mayhew who married Henry Schwerdtfeger. 1903 was the year that saw ownership falling into the hands of Henry Schwerdtfeger.

Harold Schwerdtfeger was also known to many as Dutchy and his clerk was Steven Jones who lived on Queen Street. Most have mentioned that his store was always tidy and neat and the walls were decorated with photos and calendars of Old Chum Tobacco.

The back room held a large round table and several chairs. Here gossip takes over, and it is often mentioned that card games took place there regularly, and many an argument could be heard out on the streets coming from the old cronies that congregated there.

The building was later occupied by Tim Rogers who operated a stationary store there by the name of Quill and Fulton and of course Charles Jay before he moved up Bridge Street operated his boot and shoe repair shop there. (Marjorie Whyte) Carole Flint said that a friend of hers, Kay Ford and her husband Norm Nichol, had a repair shop there and lived in the apartment above. That was in the late 60’s early 70’s

Shwerdtfeger sold tobacco products and paraphernalia at his store up until 1989 when the store was sold to the Lanark County Interval House. As Good as New is now located in the building.

By the way, the As Good As New building was obviously built some time after the Mac Williams building that I am located in – there are window wells in my side of the basement that are now blocked by that building.-Petra Graber–The Good Food Co.

 

18765941_10154939704031886_4288835319652656220_n.jpg

Photo-1924

Related Reading

The Schwerdtfegerisms of Tobacco and Gambling

Before the Schwerdtfeger Sisters – There was Aunt Sophia

So was there Money Hidden in the Schwerdtfeger House?

Bertha Schwerdtfeger — Mother of the Carleton Place Schwerdtfeger Sisters

A Letter from a Local Student Nurse 1930s

12-14 Bridge Street

Screenshot 2017-05-24 at 18.jpg

Now–no Then picture

15590118_10154507229061886_2851558594977357819_n (1).jpg

12-14 Bridge Street–Date of Construction 1890

This land was part of the original land settlement in Carleton Place that the Crown granted to Edmond Morphy. In 1839, the property belonged to Edmond Jr. and it is not clear from the information from the Land Registry office who sold the property to a Mr. Whitcher. The possibilities include James L. Murphy or a Mr. Cameron, but it is from the sales of the land after Whitcher’s ownership that are clear about the land transfers that result in the Salvation Army ownership of the property in 1922.

3471_2798_618_198.jpg

Clipped from The Ottawa Journal03 May 1898, TuePage 7

In 1916, Whitcher sold the land to a James Steele and in 1920 Steele sold the land to Bates and Innes. The year 1922 was the year that Bates and Innes sold the land to the Salvation Army. The Salvation Army may have been located at 12 Bridge Street since 1907 and rented the building and in 1922 bought it.

The Salvation Army in Carleton Place dates 65 years from 1907-1972. The doorswere closed due to lack of attendance. In 1958, the Citadel was rebuilt because a fire damaged the previous building on this site.

This site was the home of the Salvation Army for 50 years until 1972 when Aldot Ltd. purchased the land. There is a judgment on the books in 1983 and then the Victoria and Grey Trust Co. assumed ownership and sold the property to Dianne Orr.  In 1985 a Milford assumed ownership until 1990 when Milford transferred ownership to Ontario 656731. In 1991, Ontario 656731 leased the property and building to Pizza Pizza and it has been Pizza Pizza at this location to the present day until the company moved out in 2017 into a new location on Highway 7 and McNeely Ave.

img.jpg

Clipped from The Ottawa Journal19 Jun 1952, ThuPage 10

1101_4121_531_134.jpg

Clipped from The Ottawa Journal18 Oct 1901, FriPage 7

img.jpg

Clipped from The Ottawa Journal21 Jun 1898, TuePage 7

17-19 Bridge Street Carleton Place

hick (1).jpg

ThenThe Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum

Screenshot 2017-05-25 at 16.jpg

Before

buds.jpg

Now 2017

17-19 Bridge Street Carleton Place

The building was built in 1860 and in 1999, Dave Hick purchased the property at 17-19 Bridge Street, was cleaning up the basement, and found the tombstone of Jacob Bond and his infant son Joseph. Jacob was born February 18, 1837 and died May 1873 from accidental poisoning.

Irma Willoughby’s husband was related to the Bonds and she was working on the Bond Family tree and was able to fill in some of the blanks. She said the accidental poisoning was because of the glue in the wallpaper that was highly toxic in small-enclosed areas. It is unclear why Joseph died in July 1874.

Jacob was the first of ten children born to Joseph and Henrietta Bond. Jacob was a shoemaker and cloth finisher. It is unknown when the tombstone was brought back to the Bond store with the intention of fixing it but how long it had been there is unclear and unknown.

The Bond store operated until the 1970s as a successful and busy mercantile establishment. Mrs. Bond’s store when first opened was only to handle a few school supplies along with post cards, needles, thread, lace etc, but she kept enlarging her stock until only she knew where to find things. Mr. Harry Bond operated a barbershop next door and it was in business a long time. Some of the barbers over the years were Ab Leach and Pat Patterson. Miss Joie/Joey Bond retired from her unique variety store in 1977. When her mom became ill, Joie/Joey took over the store. Joey’s father John started his barbershop around 1900. The Bonds lived on the premises.

In 2006, 17-19 Bridge Street was a Christian Book Store and H & R Block. Now it is home to H&R Block and Bud’s Taxi.

Related reading

Armchair Tourism in Carleton Place –Part 1–Bud’s Taxi

The True Carleton Place Story of Joie Bond- by Jennifer Hamilton

The Name is Bond—-Joie Bond

Looking for information on Joey Bond

Before the Stompin Tom Mural….There Was

20 Bridge Street, Carleton Place

levines.jpg

Then

moosefure.jpg

Before

Screenshot 2017-05-26 at 14.jpg

Now

20 Bridge Street, Carleton Place

Built Circa 1860-1870

While many different people owned and occupied this building, it is referred to as the Levine Store, as Philip Levine and his wife rented the store from the Mayor of the day, G. Arthur Burgess, in 1921 and bought it in 1926. Levine’s store began as a dry goods store but changed gradually to a second hand shop as the used metal parts business was found to be more lucrative. The business operated for many years and the place came to be owned by the Levine’s daughter Shirley Sheinfleld who sold it in 1983.

In 1871 there is a record of a Yeoman,  and Peter Grant, living on the site. A labourer named James Brownlee bought the house in 1872 but in 1873, he had to move out and rented the place to William H. Farrell who was a bandleader. In 1876, John McEwen and family purchased the store. McEwen was a weaver from Scotland and is registered in the census of 1851-2 as a resident of Carleton Place.His family continued to live there after his death in 1887 until 1901.

The front half of the store was rented and occupied by a decorative painter and wall paperer Charles Whitcher. (see Pizza Pizza building) In 1901, the building was sold and rented to The McAllister Brothers Paint Company, who specialized in house painting. It evolved into theThompson Paint and Wallpaper shop, and the Thompsons who lived on Sarah Street were the parents of Dave Thompson who operated the first Imperial Oil  Service Station in town.

 

18767429_10154934790856886_2330954942486770528_n.jpg

After that several people owned the property. A barber named Henry Bond (see Bond store) bought it in 1914 and George Arthur Burgess former Mayor of Carleton Place bought it in 1921. He did not live on the premises but rented it to persons operating a dry goods business.

The building changed hands many times, but became known as the Levine Store from 1921 when Philip Levine and his wife operated a dry goods store and alfer a second hand shop. The building remained in the Levine Family until 1983. In February 1986 there was a destructive fire but thankfully the building was rebuilt to match the original. It then became Boomers, and now The Thirsty Moose.

Related Reading

Before The Moose in Carleton Place There Was—

Does anyone still Have Fun at the Moose?

The Day The Moose in Carleton Place Burned Down

Boomers of Carleton Place

How to Paint “The Moose”

The Carleton Place Dump War

Woodstock in Carleton Place– Let the Tambourines Play and — And About That Junk Pile!

21 Bridge Street

hick (1).jpg

Then

Screenshot 2017-05-27 at 12.jpg

Later

16195685_1844623322467919_1643275050829354745_n.jpg

Now–Brown & MacFarlane Glass Co Inc

21 Bridge Street

This building was built circa 1870 and in 1906 Thomas Stevens had a new store at this location, which was called The Palace Grocery. In 1920, Stevens sold out to Bowland and Sutherland. Bowland and Sutherland Grocery store had a small China shop on the right of the grocery store.

Additions to Bowland and Sutherland — Mr. Sutherland had dark hair and his partner Rube Bowland was the one that carried on most of the business. He was well liked and was most noted for wearing a wig which he seemed to wear in all directions. They ran a small China shop on the right side of the grocery shop and the late Marjorie Whyte remembers buying a whole brand new Royal Doulton tea service for $12.00.

Lloyd Hughes was the delivery boy and helper, and later on Duncan Hobbs was the clerk and Hazel Cleland put in a few years too. Bowlands eventually gave up the china shop and rented it out Harold Warren from Perth who was a watch repairman and later Mel Covell ran it. Rube Bowland had three daughters and one son. Daughter Kaye Bowland was killed in a car accident in Granby, Quebec along with Hilda Morphy. (files from Marjorie Whyte)

In 1951, Townend Plumbing and Heating was located in the building. In 2006, the building was part of the dry cleaners (Carleton Cleaners) located at 27 Bridge Street. Today the business Brown & MacFarlane Glass Co Inc is located there.

18739738_10154934790861886_3789962229715850739_n.jpg

1924 Carleton Place ad

img.jpg

Clipped from The Ottawa Journal11 Aug 1941, MonPage 22

img.jpg

Clipped from The Ottawa Journal03 Jan 1942, SatPage 6

img.jpg

Clipped from The Ottawa Journal26 Nov 1931, ThuPage 13

Volume 2 has now started– CLICK HERE

Come and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read. Also check out The Tales of Carleton Place.

Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in The Townships Sun and Screamin’ Mamas (USA)

historicalnotes

18300844_1840399019321788_4228835598836555343_n.png

Carleton Place — A Valley Town at Confederation 

In Canada’s Year of Confederation, the busy sawmill village of Carleton Place had a population of about 700 people. Many citizens were sons and daughters of the Scottish emigrants who had settled the area in the 1820’s.Most of the town’s buildings stood on the north side of the Mississippi River, with only about 12 houses on the south.

Shops on Bell, Mill and Bridge Street were open from 6 am to 10 pm and the average work day for laborers was 11 hours! Want to know more about what Carleton Place (formerly Morphy’s Falls) looked like in 1867?

Read more in the Carleton Place Community Information Guide or stop by the Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum and check out their summer exhibition.

 relatedreading
Advertisements

About lindaseccaspina

Linda Knight Seccaspina was born in Cowansville, Quebec about the same time as the wheel was invented and the first time she realized she could tell a tale was when she got caught passing her smutty stories around in Grade 7 at CHS by Mrs. Blinn. When Derek "Wheels" Wheeler from Degrassi Jr. High died in 2010, Linda wrote her own obituary. Some people said she should think about a career in writing obituaries. Before she laid her fingers to a keyboard, Linda owned the eclectic store Flash Cadilac and Savannah Devilles in Ottawa from 1976-1996. After writing for years about things that she cared about or pissed her off she finally found her calling. Is it sex drugs and rock n' roll you might ask? No, it is history. Seeing that her very first boyfriend in Grade 5 (who she won a Twist contest with in the 60s) is the head of the Brome Misissiquoi Historical Society and also specializes in local history back in Quebec, she finds that quite funny. She writes every single day and is also a columnist for Hometown News and Screamin's Mamas. She is a volunteer for the Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum, an admin for the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page, and a local guest speaker. She has been now labelled an historian by the locals which in her mind is wrong. You see she will never be like the iconic local Lanark County historian Howard Morton Brown, nor like famed local writer Mary Cook. She proudly calls herself The National Enquirer Historical writer of Lanark County, and that she can live with. Linda has been called the most stubborn woman in Lanark County, and has requested her ashes to be distributed in any Casino parking lot as close to any Wheel of Fortune machine as you can get. But since she wrote her obituary, most people assume she's already dead. Linda has published six books, "Menopausal Woman From the Corn," "Cowansville High Misremembered," "Naked Yoga, Twinkies and Celebrities," "Cancer Calls Collect," "The Tilted Kilt-Vintage Whispers of Carleton Place," and "Flashbacks of Little Miss Flash Cadilac." All are available at Amazon in paperback and Kindle. Linda's books are for sale on Amazon or at Wisteria · 62 Bridge Street · Carleton Place, Ottawa, Canada, and at the Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum · 267 Edmund Street · Carleton Place, Ottawa, Canada--Appleton Museum-Mississippi Textile Mill and Mill Street Books and Heritage House Museum and The Artists Loft in Smith Falls.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s