Many thanks to Ruth (Drysdale) Duncan for this photograph.
And thanks to Joanne Park Huskilson for most of the names, and for how everyone is related.
Clipped from The Ottawa Journal, 29 Jun 1900, Fri, Page 6
James Gibson of Lammermore
A descendent of Lammermore’s first settler sees his village coming to an end.
In 12 or 15 years there will not be a Lammermore. This is the pessimistic opinion of James Carmen Gibson, life long resident and proud descendent of the first pioneer settler in the 143 year old settlement. The once flourishing community was established by James Gibson a native of Lanark, Scotland who led a small band of his countrymen into the virgin forest of eastern Ontario in 1821. It was these hardy settlers who named their new home Lammermore after the Lammermore Hills of their native land. James Carmen Gibson, great great grandson of Lammermore’s founding father, may also be the last of the Gibson’s in that community.
Mr. Gibson puts it this way: “I can remember about 45 years ago there were 11 families and 78 people living here. Now there are only three families and 16 people. The trouble is that there are no children around here. The three families have just 9 children going to a public school and on top of that we have four bachelors here.”
The Gibsons have one son to carry on the family name and he is destined for a career in the Ontario Provincial Police. They also have four daughters. Mr. Gibson summed up the future of Lammermore in a nutshell when he remarked “None of the young men are going to stay and farm. That is plain to see.”
Lunch with the Retired Women Teachers of Ontario—Arlene The Gibsons used to raise dairy and beef cattle on their 300 acre farm which has been in the family since 1831 with the depression and the consequent change in the price of farm products Mr. Gibson found it more profitable to start hauling milk for other farmers to the Middleville cheese factory. He was drawing milk for some 17 farmers in the area and continued this business until 1956 when he was forced to make another change. “Most of the farmers around here turned to beef production. There was not enough milk to pay me to draw it to the cheese factory so we began shipping cream to Brockville.” Mr. Gibson turned from shipping cream to (illegible word) lumber in the E. B. Eddy Company in Hull. He supplies the company with roughly 500 cords a year and will often travel to six days a week with a band of poplar or spruce.
The Gibson family began tapping trees in 1821 with the arrival of James Gibson from Lanark, Scotland. He was the first pioneer settler in the area and named their new home Lammermoor after the Lammermoor Hills in Scotland. Their five children Verna, Beatrice, Norma, Carol and Earl all helped out with the operation. They also raised beef, dairy on their busy farm and hauled milk to the Middleville cheese factory.
Clipped from The Ottawa Journal, 17 Sep 1900, Mon, Page 7
Perth Courier, May 7, 1897
Lammermoor: T. Deachman has returned home after a visit to D. Currie.
Obit: Mrs. Stephen Park, Ellen Ferguson was born a Lammermoor, Feb 28th, 1858 a daughter of Mr. Allan Ferguson. She married on Apr 17th, 1878 and is survived by her husband and seven children; Agnes (Mrs. R Pretty) of Hopetown; Jean (Mrs. C Craig) of North Battleford Sask; James of Mazenod Sask; Eulelia (Mrs. Matt Tullis) of Drummond; Mary (Mrs. Murchison) of Mazenod Sask; Margaret (Mrs. W Cameron) of Watson’s Corners and Charles at home. One daughter Annie May deceased. She also leaves two sisters and one brother; Mrs. David Napier, Mrs. Gould of Winnipeg , and Allan Ferguson of Watson’s Corners. Burial in Watson’s Corners Cemetery.
Perth Courier, April 17, 1896
We regret to say W. L. McDonald lately a merchant at Lammermoor, Lanark Township, has been forced to assign for the benefit of his creditors.
Perth Courier, May 27, 1898
Watson’s Corners: Mrs. James Barr will leave today to join her husband who went out there a couple months ago. ……A number of persons from our village and from Lammermoor attended the marriage of Teresa Duncan of McDonald’s Corners and Mr. Parsons of Ottawa last Wednesday
Clipped from The Ottawa Journal, 15 Apr 1944, Sat, Page 11
Gibson Family Burials
Lammermoor, Ontario, Lot 26,
Con. 1, Dalhousie Twp.
Burials 1851 to 1978
Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in The Townships Sun and Screamin’ Mamas (USA)