old power house no1–Almonte.com
Almonte Gazette February 19 1892–
Messrs. Wylie & Co. got possession of all the electric lighting business in town on Monday, and on that evening their new dynamos got to work on the incandescent light contracts. After the proper speed was secured the lights were all that could be desired—up to the brightest anticipations. The 16-candlepower lights are pronounced equal to the 50-candle-power of the other system, and the light is a soft, mellow one and pleasant to the eye.
The new electric light station has been a source of great attraction to our citizens this week, and all who have visited it are delighted with the working of the Edison plant. Everything is in apple-pie order, and the fitting up is highly creditable to Mr. Lynn and his staff of electricians, as well as to Messrs. Young Bros., machinists. A walk around town will show anyone how the coal oil lamp system of lighting suffers by contrast with the incandescent system. We have little doubt but that in a short time nearly every business place in town will use the new form of lighting.
May 12 1892- Almonte Gazette
Quite a crowd of our townsmen were attracted to the front of Mr. Wylie’s store on Saturday night last by the novelty of its being lit with gas. The light was bright and clear, and of course was much superior to coal oil. No. 2 was similarly illuminated, and it made the building look like a fairy palace. The new worsted mill is also to be supplied with gas. There will be an abundant supply during the coming election.
Carleton Place–First Electric Lights Installed:
In mills including Peter McLaren’s Carleton Place lumber mills in early 1880’s; first community lighting service, Carleton Place, September, 1885.
Interior of Power House in Almonte-Almonte.com
Carleton Place Old Hydro Plant
Come and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read.
Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in Hometown News and now in The Townships Sun