Coffins were very plain and burial caskets were unknown
Tombstones had large epitaphs and more verbosity engraved on them
Eggs -were a shilling a dozen and butter was considered high at eighteen cents per pound
Muck of the silver currency: levies, and dollars were of Mexican and Spanish coinage (Adam Dowdall has found some foreign coinage in Franktown with his metal detector)
The county retail trade was much better, as people could not so easily run to the city by rail. Carleton Place was about seven miles from Ramsay (Almonte) and eighteen from Perth. By Franktown it is twenty-four miles from Perth, by Bellamys (Clayton) it is eighteen.
Business letters were more voluminous and formal, and were written in a precise, round hand. In the autumn of 1844 Peter McLaren left his father’s Lanark Township farm to join a Gillies Lumber Company shanty crew on the Clyde River. In taking a winter’s employment with the felling axe, he was, in many ways, like other young men of his time and place; but Mclaren had just turned 14 years of age and, within just a decade, would become one of the richest and most powerful lumber barons in Canada.
1844 Canada (bank Of Montreal) Half Penny Bank Token
The meals were surcharged with grease, a winters breakfast usually was made of salted ham and hot cakes
Dinner was simply a hasty lunch at noon, and little importance was attached to the necessity of good digestion or a period of rest after eating.
Receipt for 73 dollars and 63 cents for meal and bacon. Signed R. J. Higginbotham in Castroville on December 10, 1844. “Received of Mr. Louis Huth agent of Mr. H. Castro.”
Muscovado molasses which was very black and thin, and was the common sweetening for buckwheat cakes
The bank bills were of local banks, and the further west their locality; the shakier they were
Bread was home made. Coffee was freshly ground every morning, and the grinding of the family coffee mill was a familiar sound hours before the children arose.
Elijah McCoy was born on May 2, 1844, in Colchester, Ontario, Canada
People did not live as long as they now do, nor was the average health as good as at present. They ate more meat, more grease, more hot bread, and more heavy dishes, and drank more at meals.
Edward Fullerton Weekes opened a store near the Lombardy intersection in 1844, and a hotel / tavern in 1848, both along the south side of the road. At this time, the community was known as Lombard’s Corners, a name that remained in use until 1873.
1844 – Malcolm Cameron (1808-1876), supported by the large Scottish reform party element of this district and by others, was re-elected member of Parliament in a general election after the capital of Canada was moved from Kingston to Montreal.
The Rev. John Augustus Mulock, uncle of Sir William Mulock, became rector of the Carleton Place Anglican Church after a two year vacancy.
1844 log house and clearing–François Lareau
Come and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read.
Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in Hometown News and now in The Townships Sun