February 9 1898 Ottawa Journal
Photo-One Room Schools
The first Beckwith schoolhouse was built in the 1820s at Gillies’ Corners on Lot 3 Con. 2 Beckwith. The union school, U.S.S. No. 4 Drummond & No. 1 Beckwith, was replaced with a white brick building in 1881 and served the sections until 1966. Donald Conboy was the last teacher at Gillies Corners School.
Photo-One Room Schools
S.S. No. 5 Beckwith – Tennyson School
U.S.S. No. 10 Drummond & No. 5 Beckwith existed at Tennyson in 1874. The Tennyson School had a 30-foot well in 1877. The school closed in 1966 and the children were bused to Caldwell School in Carleton Place.
STUDENTS AT THE ORIGINAL ST. JOHN’S SCHOOL, PERTH, 1912–Photo-Perth Remembered
Front row, left to right; Johnnie Byrne, Michael Furlong, Joe Farry, Johnnie Dowdall, Ralph Hanlon, Leo Mulholland, Norbert Doyle, Collingwood Smith, Jim Williams, Leo Dowdall, Frank Daughin, Jim Horan, Isadore Kane, Johnnie McGlade, tom Brady. Second row, left to right; Aileen Kane, Rebecca Jackman, Edna Crawford, Isabel Fenwick, Sadie Quinn, Vera Crawford, Marie McCarthy, Wilma Kane, Mary White, Helen Young, Kathleen Kane, Winnifred Lee, Kathleen McGuggan, Nellie Cooper, Victoria Brown, Emline Courtney, Anna Badour. Back row, left to right; Bernice DeWitt, Annie Nonan Brankin, Gertrude Hudson, Gladys Crawford.
The old wooden school building had four classrooms on the ground floor with another 4 rooms on the second floor. It was taken down and replaced with the present St. John’s School in 1926. During the rebuilding period, classes were held in St. John’s Hall (McMartin House)
The school is still used on a daily basis as a community centre and craft studio
Photo from the Charles Dobie Collection—School Classs, Smiths Falls, Ontario, 1917-18
Tatlock School and was taken between 1927 – 1937-Charles Dobie Collection
Pakenham School from-The One Room Schoolhouse
Burgess Township The One Room Schoolhouse
S.S. No. 9 Ramsay – Leckie’s Corners, School, Hillside Public School or The Tannery 1953 Ramsay Con 8, Almonte–Photo-The One Room Schoolhouse
Former one-room girls schoolhouse in Merrickville, Ontario– Photo-Flickr Hive Mind
South Elmsely Township –Photo from The One Room Schoolhouse
Hopetown–Photo from–The One Room Schoolhouse
White Lake-Photo-Waba Cottage Museum
The old log schoolhouse, which was built in 1878, and a church, which was originally built in the village of White Lake for the temperance society. Visit the Waba Cottage Museum
SS # 5, Herron Mills school, which was originally SS # 5, Gilles Mills when John Gilles sold his mills to John Herron, in 1871. Photo- Michael Umpherson
Among the teachers was Margaret Weir, the future Mrs. W. C. Stead for the year 1885-1986
The Perth Courier for Friday, May 29, 1885 lists the “Honor Roll for SS #6, Lanark, Maggie Weir, teacher.
Fourth class – Annie Walker, Annie Herron & Lizzie Walker.
Third class – John Herron, George Armstrong & Michael Gallagher.
Second class – Matt Armstrong, Alan Roberts & Eliza A. Gallagher.
Junior class – Mary Herron, Lizzie Johnston & Nellie Gallinger.
The population of SS 4, Clayton, of 1949 are shown. In the front row, from left to right, are Gary Hudson, Clarence Drynan, Louie Ladouceur, Howard Wark, Keith Drynan, Bruce Anderson, Leslie Ladouceur, and John Bellamy. In the middle row, from left to right, are Dawna Mather, Marian Drynan, Ester Wark, Margaret Godwin, Elizabeth Ladouceur, Anita Murray, Elizabeth Drynan and Isobel Wark. In the back row, from left, are Russell Wark, Harold Barr, Norma Mather, Ann Rath, Dorothy Craig, teacher Shirley Hudson, Alice Murray and Raymond Rath. Our thanks to Dorothy Reid for use of this week’s Pic.
Taken from the Almonte Gazette.
Galbraith School, located on the Galbraith Road and the Tenth Concession-Photo- Isabel Drynan
Come and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read.
Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in Hometown News and now in The Townships Sun