Taken at Babe Leishman’s King street Almonte Ontario– Photo from the collection of John Metcalfe
William Arnold (Barny) Metcalfe was born in Almonte and farmed and operated his dairy on the outskirts of Almonte housing development (Metcalfe Park) built on the
farm in the 2000’s. Metcalfe’s Dairy was located on King St. next to present day Naismith School. Two Almonte dairies delivered milk daily (except Sundays)
Almonte Ontario Metcalfe’s Dairy-Photo from the collection of John Metcalfe
Metcalfe’s Dairy, Almonte, round red 1⁄2 pint, – reverse “There is no substitute for milk products”
Return of Convictions for the Period Ending Dec. 13, 1898
E. Lambert, $20–Deteriorating Milk
Perth Courier, Oct. 17, 1877
A notable want in Perth is about being filled up. Mr. William Mortimer has made arrangements for getting the milk from the dairy of C. A. Matheson and will serve it out to customers delivered at their door this winter and from then on. The arrangement will be commenced in about a month from this date. Meantime, Mr. Mortimer will call around to find out who may wish to become customers. The milk furnished will be first class as Mr. Matheson’s cows are notably excellent ones, while, coming from his dairy, the milk will certainly be the pure article.
Perth Courier, Nov. 30, 1888
The Hopetown Cheese Factory closed 20th November having been in operation 5 months. The last shipment of cheese was made 13th Nov. but the patrons were settled with on the 20thnotwithstanding the trouble with gassy milk in the fore part of the season which reflects great credit on the cheese maker Mr. McVeigh that not one number of cull cheese was made the goals having always brought the highest prices at the time of sale. The committee for engaging a cheesemaker for the ensuing year have taken no action yet in the matter not knowing whether to hire a cheesemaker on salary or commission.
Perth Courier, June 9, 1899
John Fraser of Scotch Corners is fixing up a house likewise which looks well; John Fraser finished up an ice house and cold storage this spring to keep his Saturday night and Sabbath milk in with fresh meat, butter, etc.,–it answers the purpose well and he is now building a silo for his corn; and our neighbor Archie McLean is also building a silo and shed to his bank barn; James W. Moodie is shingling his barn anew;
Perth Courier, September 9, 1898
It is reported here that O’Brien, the man recently arrested in Winnipeg and now on his way east in charge of Chief McGowan of Smith’s Falls, is a bigamist with more than an average record of female conquests. Up to the latest advice, the prisoner has been charged with having no less than five wives one of whom is the daughter of a prominent farmer and dairy man of this section. O’Brien spent several winters in the vicinity of North Augusta and was looked upon as quite the ladies man.
Perth Courier, Jan. 20, 1933
Mr. and Mrs. James Allen, Erwin Apartments, Gore Street, quietly celebrated their Golden Wedding anniversary on Thursday of this week. On Jan. 19, 1883, Mr. Allen was married to Janet Ann Wilson at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Wilson, Sr., Scotch Line, by the late Rev. Malcolm MacGillivray of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, Perth. The groomsman was Abraham Ferrier and the bridesmaid was Martha Wilson, afterwards married to Mr. Ferrier and since deceased. After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Allen resided on the Scotch Line where he conducted a blacksmith business up to 1913 when he sold the business and he and Mrs. Allen came to Perth to reside on Foster Street. Mr. Allen was the representative of a firm dealing in dairy supplies and also represented several cheese factories as salesman on the Perth Cheese Board. Mr. and Mrs. Allen lived for four years in Winnipeg but returned to Perth three years ago. Their union was blessed with two sons, Ray (or Roy?) Allen of Winnipeg and the late Melville Allen. Mr. and Mrs. Allen are enjoying splendid health. At the time of their Silver Wedding anniversary 25 years ago, Mr. Allen was a reeve in North Burgess. The Courier of Jan. 1, 1908 stated in reference to the reception at their home: “A large number of their friends and relatives were present and made the evening pass pleasantly, all wishing Mr. and Mrs. Allen felicitations and the hope that they will live to enjoy their Golden Wedding event”.
JOHN BRADY – At St. Francis Hospital, Smiths Falls , on March 31, 1966 , the death occurred of John Brady, following an illness of several months. The late Mr. Brady was born on June 7, 1876 , on the third line of Bathurst , a son of the late Patrick Brady and Mary Hogan. During his early life he conducted a dairy business in Perth , later farmed near Balderson. For the past twenty years, he resided in Perth . On September 19, 1899 , he united in marriage to Clarah? Theresa Young at St. John’s R.C. Church by Rev. Father Davis. To this union were born eleven children, two daughters and nine sons, of whom eight survive: (Marie) Mrs. Charles Doyle, Perth, (Aileen) Mrs. Owen Woodward, Detroit; Hugh, Perth, Patrick, Detroit; Edward, Casterville; William, Verona; Arthur, Smiths Falls; Francis, Kingston. Predeceased by three sons, Daniel, Philip and James. 41 grandchildren, 37 great grandchildren, a sister Mrs. Daniel O’Neil, survives. Deceased sisters and brothers were; Mrs. Samuel Crawford, Mrs. Peter Jackman, Mrs. John Mackler, Mrs. Louis Pennett, Daniel, William, Thomas and Richard. The late Mr. Brady was well known and a highly respected citizen, a member of St. John’s R.C. Church . His largely attended funeral took place from Blair and Son Funeral Home on Monday, April 4th to St. John’s R.C. Church , where Requiem High Mass was sung by Msgr. H.J. Farrell at 9 a.m. with Father Thomas Brady and Father Shea, in the Sanctuary. Many spiritual and floral offerings testified to the respect in which he was held. Pallbearers were: James Brady, Patrick Brady, Lawrence Brady, Edward Pennett, Arnold Jackman (nephew) and Jack Brady, (grandson). Those from a distance attending the funeral included, Rev. Father Collins, Chesterville; Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Brady and son, Jack of Detroit; Mr. and Mrs. Owen Woodward, daughter Debora of Detroit; Mrs. Thomas McGarry, North Bay; Mrs. Mary Raino, Toronto; Mr. Arnold Jackson, Toronto; Mr. Tom Williams, Toronto; Mr. and Mrs. J.T. Doyle, Toronto, and many others from surrounding distances. ( 14 Apr 1966 pg 14)
Oatmeal Cookies to go along with the milk
Oatmeal Drop Cookies—Remember–Before there was Baker Bob’s There was The Almonte Bakery
adapted from Betty Crocker’s Cooky Book
Makes about 36 cookies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup milk chocolate (such as Lindt), cut into coarse chunks
- Heat oven to 350 degrees (original recipe calls for 400, but I found that 350 worked better for me).
- Mix butter, sugar, eggs, and molasses thoroughly.
- Stir the flour, soda, salt, and cinnamon together; blend in bit by bit with the wet ingredients until incorporated.
- Stir in oats, nuts, and chocolate. Use either a cookie scoop or spoon to drop dough by rounded spoonfuls about 2 inches apart on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, or until lightly browned. (original recipe calls for 8-10 minutes at 400 degrees)