S.S. No. 9 Ramsay, 1898 – Courtesy of Edna Scott & Jean Macpherson. Seated: Dan Barnes and Wilfred Barnes Standing: Gertie Allen, Eva Shane, Hanna Coon, Julia Burke, Lillian Scott, Eva Coon (in front of Lillian), Edna Scott, Pearl Allen, Orville Allen, Annie Burke, Bertha Craig, Mary Burke, Laura Scott, Alfred Ragsdale, and teacher Edith McKechnie beside her bicycle. Photo-The One Room Schoolhouse
Bustling Leckie’s Corners
Leckie’s Corners on the 8th line of Ramsay Township was once a bustling community with many businesses, a school and three churches. It was once 2 miles from the Brockville & Ottawa Railroad , and a popular much frequented stop. The Tannery and Auld Kirk Church and cemetery are all that is left. Read more here..
LECKIE'S CORNERS. — County Lanark, 8th Concession of Ramsay, 1887 Business Directory Cabinetmaker — Kearney, James. Cooper — Wright, James. General Store — Wilson, George. Farmer — Nicholson, Edward.
Milliner — Cashey, Mrs. Smithery and Forge — Slater, William. Saddler — Drury, Robert Saw Mill — Mansell, Isaac. The Free Church of Scotland and the Established Church of Scotland and Wesleyan Methodists meet for Divine Service.
Afghan knitted by students at S.S. No. 9 Ramsay as part of the war effort, 1943- Courtesy of Ray Barr. Back: Myrna Papineau,
Earl McIntyre, Iris More, Donald Barr, Bob Rollins.
2nd Row: Irene McIntyre, Elsie More, Irene More,
Elizabeth More, Jean McGregor, Ruth Rollins, Ray Barr,
Bert More, Laurie More, John More, Gordie Barr.
Photo-The One Room Schoolhouse
The oldest church built by the Scots still survives, the “Auld Kirk” located on the 8th Line. On January 4, 1836, the first official meeting for Ramsay Township took place in the schoolhouse at Leckie’s Corners, now near the Auld Kirk. John Gemmill, John Dunlop, and James Wilson were elected as the first Commissioners of the new township government. The commissioners were elected annually until 1850, when it changed to Reeves and Councillors, the system that continued through Ramsay’s history. Ramsay was amalgamated in the 1990s to form part of the Town of Mississippi Mills.– North Lanark Regional Museum
Reverend Robert Bell-He taught the public school near Appleton in 1852, and the next year the school at Leckie’s Corners, near Almonte.
Perth Courier, Feb. 10, 1893
The Almonte Gazette says: “After an illness extending over many months Mrs. Gilbert Cannon passed to her reward on Saturday afternoon last deeply regretted by a wide circle of her friends. For a considerable time she was confined to her house and for several weeks preceding her death she grew progressively weaker having been unable to take nourishment.
Mrs. Cannon whose maiden name was Susanna Leckie, was born in Scotland in 1828 and came to this country about fifty years ago. She was a sister to Thomas Leckie for whom “Leckie’s Corners” was called and who edited and managed Almonte’s first newspaper which was established by a joint stock company about 30 years ago.
She lived at Leckie’s Corners with her brother who did business there as a general merchant until her marriage to Mr. Cannon and shortly afterwards Mr. and Mrs. Cannon removed to town and have lived here ever since enjoying the esteem and respect of the community. Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Irving of Pembroke, the latter a sister of Mr. Cannon, were present at the funeral.
Come and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read.
Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in Hometown News and now in The Townships Sun