The Lanark Fire of 1895

Standard

11162455_868697329875283_4366966356801202915_n.png

Photo-Lanark & District Museum

Lanark Village– January 1895–Almonte Gazette

About ten o’clock on Wednesday forenoon of last week the people of the village were alarmed by the sound of the fire gong. The fire proved to be on what is called the “ French Hill,” the cause being a spark from one of the chimneys, and the wind being very high that day, happened to blow one into Mr. George Easton’s hay-house in connection with his stable ; and before it was noticed the hole building was in flames.

A small stable belonging to Mr. A. Milotte caught fire, and in order to save Mr. Milotte’s house the stable was pulled down. The wind had blown the flames in the direction of Mr. Dominick Arnoldi’s large dwelling house, which was soon in a blaze. The people then began to remove the household furniture, and managed to get the most of it out before the fire got too strong a hold. The building was totally destroyed.

It was owing to the manner in which those present worked that they managed to save Mr. Easton’s house. The burning cinders were carried into the middle of the village, setting small fires all over the village, and, to make matters worse, the fire engine refused to do its work ; but the hose was stretched from the Clyde Woolen Mills pump, which gave great assistance, and after about six hours’ hard ,work the fire was completely conquered. Mr. Arnoldi’s loss is about $800– insured for §100 plus other small losses.

 

Burial of George Easton and his wife Janet Stevenson– click here

 

Lanark Fire 1959– Hour by Hour

The Lanark Fire June 15th 1959

Come and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read.

Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in Hometown News and now in The Townships Sun

 

About lindaseccaspina

Before she laid her fingers to a keyboard, Linda was a fashion designer, and then owned the eclectic store Flash Cadilac and Savannah Devilles in Ottawa on Rideau Street from 1976-1996. She also did clothing for various media and worked on “You Can’t do that on Television”. After writing for years about things that she cared about or pissed her off on American media she finally found her calling. She is a weekly columnist for the Sherbrooke Record and documents history every single day and has over 6500 blogs about Lanark County and Ottawa and an enormous weekly readership. Linda has published six books and is in her 4th year as a town councillor for Carleton Place. She believes in community and promoting business owners because she believes she can, so she does.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s