Photo-Lanark & District Museum
Lanark Village– January 1895–Almonte Gazette
About ten o’clock on Wednesday forenoon of last week the people of the village were alarmed by the sound of the fire gong. The fire proved to be on what is called the “ French Hill,” the cause being a spark from one of the chimneys, and the wind being very high that day, happened to blow one into Mr. George Easton’s hay-house in connection with his stable ; and before it was noticed the hole building was in flames.
A small stable belonging to Mr. A. Milotte caught fire, and in order to save Mr. Milotte’s house the stable was pulled down. The wind had blown the flames in the direction of Mr. Dominick Arnoldi’s large dwelling house, which was soon in a blaze. The people then began to remove the household furniture, and managed to get the most of it out before the fire got too strong a hold. The building was totally destroyed.
It was owing to the manner in which those present worked that they managed to save Mr. Easton’s house. The burning cinders were carried into the middle of the village, setting small fires all over the village, and, to make matters worse, the fire engine refused to do its work ; but the hose was stretched from the Clyde Woolen Mills pump, which gave great assistance, and after about six hours’ hard ,work the fire was completely conquered. Mr. Arnoldi’s loss is about $800– insured for §100 plus other small losses.
Come and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read.
Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in Hometown News and now in The Townships Sun