Photo from Perth Remembered LANARK Village
From Fuller’s Directory for 1866 and 1867
An incorporated village, situated in the Township and County
of Lanark. It is built on the River Clyde, which is a tributary
of the Mississippi, and empties into it about two miles below the
village. Lanark has a very good local trade, but its principal
business is that of lumbering, which is carried on to a considerable
It possesses good water privileges, and in appearance
compares favourably with most places of the same size in the Pro-
vince, its location being pleasant, and its buildings of a more than
usually good order. Lanark is distant from Perth, the County
Town, 12 miles; Brockville, 50 miles; and Ottawa, 55 miles.
Population about 650.
Bain, James, farmer
BAIRD, THOMAS, boot and shoe store, George st, cor. Craig
Ballantine, Matthew, farmer
Bowes, James, carpenter and joiner, George st
Bowes, Patrick, proprietor Union hotel, George st
BURKE, THOMAS, boot and shoemaker, Clyde st* All des-
criptions of boots and shoes made to order in the best and
most workmanlike manner, on the shortest notice, and at
the lowest prices
Burke, W., Rev., Church of England
Thanks to Brad Nichols, of Lanark, who advises that this is the former Caldwell Grist and Sawmill on the Clyde River in Lanark. “I’ve lived in Lanark my whole life, and remember this abandoned, collapsing mill when I was a kid. All that was left then was the lower half of the main stone structure that housed the water wheel; the stack still stands, encased in cinder block. There were large old timber-framed gussets, shafts, gears and cogs left in waste. It was pretty well gone by about 1976. The Caldwell mansion may be seen in the back ground – Clyde Hall – now restored.”- Perth & District Historical Society
Caldwell, Alexander, flour, grist, and saw mill owner, Clyde st
CALDWELL, BOYD, lumber merchant, and dealer in dry
goods, groceries, hardware, boots shoes, &c , George st —
Craig, Andrew G., butcher, George st
Craig, Robert, farmer
Cullen, Ellen, Mrs , school teacher
CULROSS, JAMES, tailor and clothier, also, grocer and pro-
vision dealer, George st — See Advertisement
Currie, James, farmer
Dailey, John, painter
Deachman, John, farmer
Deachman, William, farmer
DOBBIE, JAMES, proprietor “ Ciyde Foundry,” Clyde st —
DOBBIE, THOMAS, dealer in groceries, provisions, wines and
liquors, George st, corner Clyde — See Advertisement
GEORGE STREET, COR. CRAIG, LANARK, C. W.
Ladies’ and Gentlemen’s Boots and Shoes always in stock, or made to
order, in the best manner, at the very lowest rates.
GEORGE STREET, LANARK, C. W.
Staple and Fancy Dry Goods, Groceries, Provisions, Crockery,
Earthenware, Clothing, Boots and Shoes, Hardware, «fee.
ALSO, GROCER AND PROVISION DEALER,
GEORGE STREET, JL 3NT .A. IR. LT_, C. W:
A good assortment of Cloths always in stock. Garments made up in
03 3 Groceries, Provisions, <fcc., at the lowest prices.
GRASS AND CLOVER SEED, FLOWER AND GARDEN SEEDS, &C,
GEORGE STREET, CORNER CLIDE,
A good assortment of the above, always on hand^ at the lowest prices.
DRYSDALE, JAMES, carriage manufacturer and cabinet maker,
Clarence st, cor. George. Carriages, waggons, &e., built
to order, in first-class style. ’Furniture cf all kinds made
in the best manner, on short notice
Drysdale, John, waggon maker, George st
Drysdale, Robert, waggon and cabinet maker
Fergusson, R. B., M.D., George st
Gallinger, Jacob, waggon maker and blacksmith, George st
Gillis, J ohn, flour and grist, saw, and carding mill owner, and
GLOSSOP, DANIEL, boot and shoe maker, George st. Boots
and shoes of all kinds made to order, in the best manner,
at the lowest rates. Repairs promptly executed
Hawkins, George, grocer, Clyde st
Holmes, John, Rev., Wesleyan Methodist, George st
Lamont, Elizabeth, wid. Joseph, proprietress Crown Inn
Lanark Union Grammar and Common School, Prince st, Peter
McLaren, Jr., principal j Mrs. Ellen Cullen, assistant
MAIR, HOLMES, general dealer in staple and fancy dry goods,
groceries, crockery, glassware, hardware, drugs, medicines,
stationery, &c., George st — See Advertisement
Mair, James, boot and shoe maker, George st
Mair, John, leather manufacturer
McCallum, Walter L., saddler and harness maker, George st
McEWEN, PETER, tailor and grocer, George st. Garments
made to order, and cutting done, in the latest styles, on
the shortest notice, at the lowest remunerative rates
McINNES, ALEXANDER, carriage, waggon, sleigh, and cutter
builder, George st — See Advertisement
McIntyre, Finley, town treasurer, George st
McLaren, Duncan, proprietor, Victoria house, George st
McLaren, John, Sr., farmer
McLaren, John, Jr., farmer
McLaren, Peter, Sr., farmer
McLaren, Peter, Jr., principal, Lanark Union Grammar and
McLaren, Peter, farmer
McVEIGH, WILLIAM & CO., (William and Thomas
McVeigh) general dealers in dry goods, groceries, crockery
hardware, stationery, school books, &c., George st
JAMES BOBBIE^ – PROPRIETOR.
MANUFACTURER OF ALL’ DESCRIPTIONS OF
Box, Cooking, and Parlor Stoves, &c. •
Mill Work of all kinds executed to order in the best manner,
on the shortest notice, and at satisfactory rates.
CASTINGS OF EVERY DESCRIPTION DONE IN FIRST-CLASS STYLE.
All work warranted to give satisfaction,
GEORGE STREET, LANARK, C, W.
Dealer in Staple and Fancy Dry Goods, Groceries, Crockery
and Glassware, Hardware, Drugs, Stationery, Furnish-
ings, Ac., at the Cheap Cash Store.
GEORGE STREET, LANARK, C. W.
All descriptions of the above built to order, in a first-class manner, at
the most reasonable rates. Repairs of all kinds promptly
executed. All work warranted.
LANARK — TATLOCK — BELL’S CROSSING.
Monohan, William, councilor and farmer,
MULLAN, PATRICK, cattle dealer, George st
MUNRO, ALEXANDER, M.D., dealer in dry goods, groceries,
provisions, boots, shoes, drugs, chemicals, &c., George st,
and at Watson’s Corners, township of Dalhousie
POST OFFICE, George st, William Robertson, postmaster
Robertson, John, town clerk, Clyde st
ROBERTSON, WILLIAM, J.P., reeve, postmaster, clerk 2nd
division court, Lanark and Renfrew, conveyancer, com-
missioner in B.R., &c., Clyde st
Shanks, Philip, Rev., Congregationalist, York st
Smith, John, leather manufacturer, Clyde st
Stewart, Robert, farmer
Turner, Francis, tinsmith, and confectioner, George st
Watt, Edward, saddler and harness maker, George st
Watt, Thomas, carpenter
Wilson, James, Rev., Presbyterian, Clarence st
Wilson, Thomas, boot and shoe maker
The village of Lanark was first established in 1820 as part of a plan of military strategy designed to strengthen the lines of communication along the Rideau River and to provide a reserve of experienced soldiers. Many of the settlers were men who had been discharged after service in the Napoleonic Wars.
The first settlers came from Scotland, the cost of their passage being a loan by the British Government. These included many weavers; consequently one of the principal industries of the village -today is the knitting mill which was undamaged in the fire. A woolen mill formerly existed on George Street but this was burned down in a fire in 1916, and the company moved to Perth.
A survey made in 1900 and revised in 1908 shows most of the buildings with a few exceptions, date back to 1900 or thereabouts. Three of the older buildings on George Street were of log construction, the Town Hall and some neighbouring buildings were of solid masonry and the remainder were of wood-frame construction with wood sidings, imitation brick shingles, or brick veneer. Many of the existing dwellings have been converted to stores by replacing part of the front wall with a store front.
Come and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read.
Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in Hometown News