From Fuller’s Directory for 1866 and 1867
A small post village situated in the Township of Drummond, and County of Lanark, South Riding. It possesses a good water privilege — that supplied by the River Mississippi, on which it is built. It contains one Roman Catholic Church. Distant from Perth, the County Town, 12 miles. Population, 130. Bennett, Edward, blacksmith Blair, C. C., carpenter Blair, Robert, miller Gomersell, George, tanner and farmer ferquson’s falls — watson’s cor. — bennie’s cor. 85 Hicks, Robert, general merchant Hollinger, Charles, hotel keeper McCaffy, J ames, carpenter Stafford, John, boot and shoe maker Sulivan, Edward, boot and shoe maker WATSON’S CO RNERS. A small post village situated in the Township of Dalhousie, and County of Lanark. It has one Free Church, and contains a population of about 75, and is distant from Perth, the County Town, 18 miles, Barrie, Agnes, Mrs., hotel keeper Barrie, James, boot and shoe maker Craig, John, cooper Ford, William, blacksmith Harrow, Charles, cooper Munroe, A., M. D., dealer in dry goods and groceries Park, Alexander, millwright Park, James, millwright Park, William carpenter Purdon, Alexander, blacksmith Purdon, J ames, postmaster, carriage maker, dealer in dry goods, groceries, &c Scott, Jane, Mrs., hotel keeper BENNIE’S CO RNERS. A small post village in the Township of Ramsay, and County of Lanark. It has a water privilege. Distant from Perth, the County Town, 30 miles. Population about 100. Baird, John, miller Bredden, James, lumber merchant Cockell, George, boot and shoe maker Cummings, Robert, boot and shoe maker Glover, John, cooper Gommersall, Robert, tanner Henderson, Robert, flour and grist mill proprietor Leishman, Alexander, postmaster and general merchant Marshall, A., saw mill Philip, William, blacksmith
MIDDLEYILLE. A post village situated in the Township of Lanark, County of Lanark, near the river Clyde. There are three Churches in Middleville, namely, Congregational, Presbyterian and Baptist. Distant from Perth, the County Town, 19 miles. Population 103. Affleck. George, boot and shoe maker Aickman, George, hotel keeper Blackburn, John, cabinet maker and dentist Borrowman, John, machinst Croft, William, postmaster, township treasurer, general merchant and fur dealer Deachman, Thomas, blacksmith Douglas, James, Bev., Congregational Guthrie, Edward, carriage maker Guthrie, William, boot and shoemaker McLachlan, Peter, gentleman McLean, Donald, Bev., superintendent of schools, County of Lanark McPherson, John, potash manufacturer Milotte, Alphonse, cooper, and inspector of beef and pork Bankin, James, bailiff 2nd division court Bankin, William, waggon maker Bobertson, Thomas, carpenter and cabinet maker Stewart, James, general merchant Watt, Bobert, blacksmith, and cattle dealer
M’DONALD’S CORNERS — PHILIPS VILLE. MCDONA LD’S C ORNERS. A small post village situated on the river Mississippi, in the Township of Dalhousie, and County of Lanark* It is distant from Perth, the County Town, 18 miles, and has a population of about 70. Anderson, James, carpenter Anderson, Thomas, blacksmith Campbell, Duncan, tailor Campbell, Thomas, blacksmith , Erskine, James R., clerk Jackman, Thomas, boot and shoe maker McDonald, Alexander farmer McLean, Colin, waggon maker and carpenter McLean, Hugh, general merchant, postmaster, and issuer of marriage licenses Meighan, Robert, general merchant Paul, George, general merchant Scott, Thomas, hotel keeper Sim, Robert, carpenter Sock, William, hotel keeper Welsh, Thomas, blacksmith
Come and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read.
Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in Hometown News