Did you know that the members of the C Company 130th Batallion were marched around Carleton Place one day and boy did they have wet feet! They marched to Black’s Corners through slush to attend church services. A little later they were outfitted with military service boots which were much more waterproof than their civilian ones.
The 130th (Lanark and Renfrew) Battalion, CEF was a unit in the Canadian Expeditionary Force during the First World War. Based in Perth, Ontario, the unit began recruiting in late 1915 in Lanark and Renfrew Counties. After sailing to England in September 1916, the battalion was absorbed into the 12th Reserve Battalion on October 6, 1916. The 130th Battalion, CEF had one Officer Commanding: Lieut-Col. J. E. de Hertel.
130th Battalion (Lanark and Renfrew), CEF, is perpetuated by the 42nd Field Artillery Regiment (Lanark and Renfrew Scottish), RCA.
Born on 10 February 1895 in Ste. Therese Beauport, Quebec – son of Evangeline Maheu, Montreal, Quebec – at the time of his enlistment in 1915: trade as shoemaker; single; no current or previous military service; Roman Catholic; height of 5 feet 3 inches; chest of 34.5 inches fully expanded; weight of 120 pounds; dark complexion; brown eyes; dark brown hair.
Joined the 130th Battalion, CEF, in Carleton Place, Ontario, on 27 October 1915 (number 787612) – taken on the strength of the 38th Battalion, CEF, on 14 or 15 November 1916 – invalided sick to England on 15 May 1917.
Born on 17 May 1893 in Carleton Place, Ontario – son of Mrs. Mary Maguire, Carleton Place, Ontario – at the time of his enlistment in 1915: trade as riveter; single; no current or previous military service; Presbyterian; height of 5 feet 8.75 inches; chest of 35 inches fully expanded; ruddy complexion; blue eyes; fair hair.
Joined the 38th Battalion, CEF, in Smiths Falls, Ontario, on 13 February 1915 (number 410793) – transferred to the 2nd Battalion, CEF, on 25 August 1915 – wounded on 12 April 1917
Beckwith Old Kirk
The first Presbyterian Church of the eastern half of Lanark County was built near Carleton Place in 1832, replacing a primitive log structure in a vicinity where services had been held since about 1818 and continuously since 1822. The church remained in use until about 1870.
On the township’s Seventh Line road, two miles south of Black’s Corners and a mile east, its foundations may be seen. In a recent pictorial map issued by the National Capital Commission its location is shown as one of the district’s historic sites. Church services here were carried on for two pioneer generations by the first colony of Scottish Highlanders to be established north of the Glengarry settlement in Ontario.
One of the last commemoration services to be held within the walls of the Beckwith Old Kirk was conducted thirty-five years ago by a native son who still “had the Gaelic,” the Rev. Dr. James Carmichael, returning at the age of eighty-eight for the occasion.
A service of commemoration had been observed at the Old Kirk in the previous year. It had opened with a procession in which the beadle, William Young, followed by the precentor, D. R. Ferguson and the minister, the Rev. J. W. S. Lowry, in black gowns, accompanied by a large number of the ruling elders of the neighbouring congregations, had made their way out from one of the doorways of the hallowed ruins to a raised platform. A concluding service of prayer within the Old Kirk walls was attended by those present who in their youth had had their church upbringing there. Among them were Margaret Anderson, Alan Cameron and Mrs. Cameron, Mrs. Donald Carmichael, William Drummond and James C. Elliott, John H. Ferguson, Mrs. Robert Ferguson (The Derry), Mrs. T. Ferguson, Mr. and Mrs. John McArthur and Mary McArthur ; also Duncan McEwen, Mrs. Finlay McEwen (Jock), Mr. and Mrs. Hugh McEwen, John McFarlane (11th line) and Mrs. Peter McLaren.-Howard Morton Brown
Come and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read.
Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in Hometown News