Not Bad For a Back Country Cow –—A correspondent for the Renfrew Mercury is responsible for the fallowing rather “watery” story. It has been reported that a curiosity has been discovered in the village of Stewartville. It bears the form of a cow, and takes, upon itself the duty of pumping water for its own use. It first pumps the water out on the ice and afterwards licks it up, and then does “ the same thing over again.” Mr. Barnet, of the local inn, is the owner of this wonderful animal.
March 1887–Almonte Gazette
Stewartville was previously known as Balmer Island as posted in the Gazetteer of the Dominion of Canada. It is a hamlet situated in McNab Township in Renfrew County. It is on the shore of the Madawaska River and was part of the timber era. There is very little mention of it in the archives so — was it a community rather than some type of landmark?
Ontario Hydro, as it was called then, describes the history of hydro development on the Madawaska this way: “By 1940, the demand for energy was growing as a result of World War II. Bark Lake Dam was re-constructed raising the level by 8-metres and creating a significant storage reservoir. The lake was operated to provide flood storage and moderate flows in the river. Barrett Chute Generating Station was constructed and became operational in 1942. Building of Stewartville Generating Station began in 1946 and it was opened in 1948. Energy demand in Ontario continued to grow during the 1960s requiring additional resources. Mountain Chute Generating Station was built in 1965-66. Barrett Chute GS and Stewartville GS were re-developed by adding generators. The capacity of the stations was increased by a factor of four. Arnprior Generating Station was the last dam constructed and began operating in 1976.”
Perth Courier, November 9, 1883
McLean-Miller—Married, at Stewartville on the 23rd Oct., by Rev. G. Bremmer, Mr. Archibald McLean of Stewartville to Miss Isabella Miller of Lanark.
The Mercury announces the marriage of Mr. P. McDougall of Renfrew to Miss E. McAdam of Stewartville in the Presbyterian Church by Rev. H. Taylor. The left for Minneapolis on their wedding trip.
Perth Courier, April 1, 1898
Dougall-McAdam—Married, on March 15 at Stewartville, by rev. Hugh Taylor, Peter Dougall of Renfrew to Elizabeth McAdam, eldest daughter of William McAdam of McNab.
Perth Courier, Feb. 23, 1872
On the afternoon of Wednesday, 14th Feb. a young man named James Graham, son of Alexander Graham, wagon maker, Balmer’s Island, while loading his sleigh with saw logs in Mr. Paris’ shanty on White Lake, lost his life on account of the top log rolling off taking him with it. The binding pole was lying by the side of the slight, his head fell on it and the log coming down on the top, crushed his skull behind the ear. Death was instantaneous although the heart beat for some time. An almost imperceptible quiver of the upper lip was all the motion that was seen after the accident. A large quantity of blood ran from the nose and mouth. Deceased was about 17 years of age a quiet, civil young man, who was born in Arnprior and will probably be remembered by some of the citizens.
Perth Courier April 20 1894
Daniel Ledgerwood—Early on Saturday morning, April 7, says the Arnprior Chronicle, an old and highly respected citizen of Arnprior in the person of Mr. Daniel Ledgerwood passed into the spirit land. He had been sick only a few days although he had not been in good health since last Fall. The funeral took place on the last Monday afternoon from his residence on Vancourtland Street to the Arnprior Cemetery. Rev. McLean officiated. The deceased came into this world 64 years ago in Drummond Township Lanark County. His father John Ledgerwood, was a farmer. He died 26 years ago, 4 years after the death of his wife. After taking a common school course, the subject of this sketch attended the Perth Grammar School and finished up at the Toronto Normal School, where he obtained a second Class A certificate in 1857. He had been teaching a short time before graduating from the Normal School so that two years ago when he was superannuated he had seen about 40 years service. Among other places he taught at Ramsay, Portage du Fort, Pembroke, Forrester’s Falls, Beachburg, Mansfield, Stewartville, Cumberland, Yuill’s, Claybank and Alice. 16 years ago he removed his family to Arnprior, where they have since remained. Deceased was one of a family of eight. He had three sisters, one of whom is living, and four brothers, two of whom survive. The surviving sister is Mrs. Daniel McKay of the township of Ross, while the brothers who are yet in the flesh are Mr. James Ledgerwood of Pembroke, and Mrs. G.O. Ledgerwood of the township of Drummond,. The brothers dead are John and Angus, the latter having been the husband of Mrs. Ledgerwood who lives on Elgin Street, Arnprior. In 1858 Daniel Ledgerwood was married to Miss Mary Ann Templeman, at Almonte, who with eleven children, five sons and six daughters, are left to mourn their loss. The sons all reside in Arnprior and are married. Here also live the daughters, three of whom are wed, viz: Mrs. Jas. Whyte, Mrs. Chas. Kerr, and Mrs. Andrew Laycock. Deceased in religion was a Presbyterian.
Come and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read.
Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in Hometown News