New photos by Linda Seccaspina and old photos by the Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum
The Granary is located in the historic Keyes Block at 107 Bridge Street in Carleton Place, Ontario. Like many of the old buildings on Bridge Street, the history of The Keyes Building runs deep and is remembered in different ways by many. The original structure that occupied the lot was built in the early 1800’s.
The modest wood building housed the Keyes’ family shoe business and living quarters. The structure was destroyed by fire in the 1880’s.
The current building was constructed in 1887. It quickly become known as “The Keyes Block”. The space, now occupied by The Granary, was home to Keyes Boots & Shoe Store. The neighbouring commercial unit was occupied by The Union Bank of Canada.
Jennifer Fenwick from the Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum– and Mark Lovell owner of the Keyes building.
William and Barbara Neelin sold lot 10 section D to William Brundige in May of 1873 for $1200. The early tenants included Steele’s tinshop, Wilson’s Bakery, Northern Telegraph and George Keyes Boots and Shoes. George Keyes was the son-in-law of William Brundige marrying his daughter Lucy. After the fire, the new red brick building was constructed in 1898 with two storefronts. The Union Bank rented 109 Bridge Street.
George Keyes died in 1909 and the Deir’s open a grocery store at 107 Bridge Street. Cal Moore moved from Smiths Falls and purchased and operated Moore’s Central grocery in 1919. Calvin was also the son-in-law of George Keyes marrying Edena Keyes.
Maynard Argue operates Argues’s Grocery at 107 Bridge Street for many years and then the Mi-Lady Dress Shoppe operated out of the same location from 1953-1977. It was owned by Dorothy Burns and later E. Shane. The tenants included: the Remembrance Gift Shop and Charlie Jay Shoes. Ken’s Discount Shoes opened at number 109 in 1965 and then The Granary Natural Foods opened at 107 Bridge Street in 1977 expanding in 2015.
Files from Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum
Clipped from The Ottawa Journal, 09 Feb 1903, Mon, Page 9