The village of McDonald’s Corners, was named after three McDonald families who were among the village’s first inhabitants who were Scottish immigrants in 1821. Similar to most rural villages in Lanark County, McDonald’s Corners was once a self-sufficient community providing the local community with general stores, inns, shops along with the local blacksmith and carriage maker’s businesses, and of course a church and a school.
Perth Courier, Jan. 27, 1899
It is proposed to change the name of McDonald’s Corners in Dalhousie Township to Minto after the new Scottish governor general. There are petitions in circulation both for the change and against and there are reasons on both sides of the question. Minto is much shorter and is a historic name; McDonald’s Corners was the name the pioneers gave and is endeared to many especially the older people.
Purdon Family- McDonalds Corners- Charles Dobie
School and students at McDonald’s Corners about 1880-Charles Dobie
The school is still used on a daily basis as a community centre and craft studio