George Leslie who once owned the Leslie/Comba building on Bridge Street was playing a game of checkers with another local merchant one day. A customer came in and paid 50 cents on his account as you could do that in those days. George, not wanting to be bothered never looked up and told the customer just to leave it on the checker board.
Just as the game was ending Reverend McNair of the Seventh Line Kirk congregation made his daily call and approached the two gents playing with a big smile. Well that smile soon turned into a frown as George Leslie ending the checker game told his opponent quite emphatically,
With that George stood up and put the 50 cents in his pocket. It was said after that the the good reverend never visited the store again.
Last Days Of Beckwith Auld Kirk
The last of the five ministers of the Seventh Line Kirk congregation was the Rev. Walter Ross, M.A. He was inducted there in 1862. For nineteen years he continued to serve his congregation, both at the Old Kirk building and after the move to Carleton Place and Franktown. In 1875 he changed his place of residence to Carleton Place, where he died in 1881. He was the father of A. H. D. Ross, M.A., M.F., whose history of “Ottawa Past and Present” was published in 1927. His successor for nine years was the Rev. Duncan McDonald, M.A., a graduate of Queen’s University, inducted at Carleton Place in 1882, who was followed by the Rev. Robert McNair and in 1897 by the Rev. G. A. Woodside, M.A., later of Winnipeg.
1893 Perth Courier– read the Perth Courier here
Playfair-Brown—Married, at the residence of the bride’s uncle, William Brown of Carleton Place, on the 26th Sept., by Rev. R. McNair, B.A., Mr. Robert Bruce Playfair of Playfairville to Miss Bertha Brown of Fallbrook.
McNeelay-White—Married, at the residence of the bride’s parents in Beckwith on the 17th October, by Rev. H. McNair, Mr. Alfred McNeelay, son of Mr. William McNeelay, Esq., of Beckwith to Miss Maggie White, daughter of Mr. Malcolm White, Esq.
Pierson-Tucker—Married, at Carleton Place on Wed., 8th Nov., by Rev. Robert McNair, at the residence of the bride’s parents, Lake Avenue, Mr. Edward Albert Pierson of Calumet, P.Q., to Miss Sarah Ada Tucker of Carleton Place.