From the Almonte Gazette 1919—
Six boys, ranging in age from fifteen to seventeen, were rounded up by the police and pleaded guilty to being members of a band which robbed stores and other places.
They smashed up a government pump at Barriefield Camp used in pumping water from river to camp and stripped it of brass valued at $500 and sold it. They had about forty keys in their possession which were used to open shop doors and homes.
Magistrate Farrell ordered each to be flogged with the cat-o’-nine tails. The young boy burglars have been responsible for a large number of burglaries of late.
The editor of this paper feels maybe we should implement the same punishment to stop the vandalism that prevails in our small town.
READ THE ALMONTE GAZETTE HERE
The Barriefield Military Camp, commonly called Camp Barriefield, was established as a military base at the outbreak of the First World War in 1914 on the east bank of the Cataraqui River opposite the city of Kingston in the village of Barriefield.
Located north of King’s Highway 2, the name of the military base and village was in honour of the Royal Navy’s Rear-Admiral Sir Robert Barrie who served during the War of 1812.