The history of Carleton Place Mail- Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum
1811-Postal service to Upper Canada is such that “a courier between Montréal and Kingston, U.C., is dispatched once a fortnight throughout the year” and “a courier between Kingston and York [Toronto] is dispatched once a fortnight during the close of the navigation on Lake Ontario.”
This is the old Perth post office typical of many built back in the late 1800s throughout Ontario– Living off the grid
Pre-1830-Citizens would have to travel 25 miles to the post office in Perth to send a letter. At the time Perth was the administrative centre in the region.
Carleton Place Post Office Beauties- Photo by Linda Seccaspina
1830-The first postmaster in Carleton Place was Caleb Strong Bellows who operated the post office out of his private store across from the present day Town Hall.
Photo credit-Dianne Kehoe Lawrence —Lanark County Genealogical Society
1834– On April 7th the postmastership passe from Bellows to Robert Bell. As the second postmaster, Bell operated the post office out of his private store on the NE corner of Bridge Street and Bell Street intersection.
1854- The third postmaster of Carleton Place was Duncan Campbell. It is somewhat unclear as to where he ran the post office from. It is speculated that it was in a location near St.James.
1860- On April 1 Postmaster Patrick Struthers took charge. Struthers had the post office in three locations, first on Bridge and Bell and then in 1870’s he moved it across the bridge to the NE corner of Bridge and Franklin.
1891- The Post Office is moved for the third time under Struthers’ charge. it has moved out of a private business to a government building for the first time. This government building is a red sandstone building at 81 Bridge Street.
Clipped from The Ottawa Journal, 09 Dec 1949, Fri, Page 12
Photo of the old Carleton Place Post Office- Linda Seccaspina
Read how the Canadian Post Office began here