Photo just outside Movshovitz’s
All photos from the Carleton Place Review Files from the Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum
1976-Photos of the town of the Movshovitz’s being honoured by the town of Carleton Place for 52 of years business in the town of Carleton Place on Bridge Street. Mayor Eldon Henderson read a congratulatory letter and accompanied it with a plaque from the town of Carleton Place and Mary Cook of the Carleton Place BIA presented the couple with flowers.
the Movshovitz family. Max Movshovitz was born in Yakobovi, Lihuania about 1887. After emigrating to Canada, he met Anie Israel, who was born in Gorzdh, Lithuania. The couple was married on October 31, 1916 at the Jewish Shomrim Laboker in Montreal. Max first worked as a travelling paddler selling tinware, before settling down in Carleton Place in 1917. The family lived first on High Street where they had a shop and a furrier business. They later moved to 156 Bridge Street and began to sell clothing. Max and Anie and their children Isaac, Abraham(Abie) and Shirley lived above the store. Max and Anie would get their kosher meat delivered from Ottawa by train. Poultry, however, Max slaughtered himself in the basement with his ritual shoichet knife to meet kosher requirements.Bill Brebner remembered visiting the store each fall to get his new school clothes, and the “peculiar smell of wool and cloth”. Abraham Movshovitz changed his name to Allan Morton (supposedly to get into medical school) and eventually became a very well-known and respected neurologist in Montreal. Shirley married Maynard Kriger and worked as a nurse in Montreal.In 1967 the Movshovitz family was honoured by the town of Carleton Place with a plaque commemorating their 52 years of business. Max passed away in 1981. Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum