This is how the bridge at Glen Isle once looked– Photo from Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum —The reeds and the marsh hold the secrets of years gone by.
Photo by Linda Seccaspina
Photo of Glen Isle by–Will Richardson–Mississippi Mills, Canada
Clipped from The Ottawa Journal, 25 Jun 1945, Mon, Page 20
This island at a bend in the Mississippi River, only 3 km northwest of Carleton Place, was once the site of a few farms. Now it is being slowly given over to privacy-loving riverfront home owners. The island about a square mile in area, is named for Captain Thomas Glendenning who in 1821 located on a grant of land including most of the part of the island lying in Beckwith Township.
King’s Creek, in the south-east side of the township near Prospect, was named for the family of John King who came there from Blair Atholl with the 1818 Perthshire emigrants. Lavallee’s Creek, now smaller than in the past, and extending from Highway 15 near Carleton Place to the Mississippi at Glen Isle, was named for Napoleon Lavellee, hotel keeper and colourful local figure from 1830 to 1890 at Carleton Place.-Howard Morton Brown
February 4, 1967 —John W. Cram Paid Final Tribute–This community was saddened last week by the passing of a beloved and respected citizen, John Wallace Cram. He died in Hospital, Carleton Place, Saturday morning, February 4th. John Cram was born on Glen Isle November 1896, the third son of Daniel Cram and his wife Euphemia Houston. He went to school in Ramsay and the Carleton Place High School. He farmed till uncertain health induced him to retire and later moved to 27 Albert St., Carleton Place. He is survived by his widow, the former Eva F. Stevenson, a daughter Barbara, (Mrs. E. G. Cameron) of Ottawa and a son William with Ontario Dept. of Lands and Forests, (Air Service) at Sault Ste. Marie and nine grandchildren. Two brothers survive, Glen in Three Hills, Alta., and Boyd in Ottawa; and two sisters, Grace (Mrs. Benjamin Guhl) of Cleveland, Ohio, and Florence (Mrs. Harwood McCreary) of Glen Isle. Two brothers predeceased him, Murray and William and two sisters, Laura and Jessie (Mrs. Morley Wilkinson). He was a life-long Baptist and active in that Church’s affairs, serving at one time as Clerk and on the Board of Managers for many years. At one time he was on the Beckwith Council and also a Trustee at Ramsay S. S. No. 8. He took an active interest in agricultural matters, His sound judgment and keen, kindly sense of humour will be missed by a host of friends. Pallbearers were: Elmer Reid, Bill Anderson, Hollie Lowry, Robt. Hawkins, Bert Lowry and Arnold Jackson.