Carleton Place’s first newspaper The Herald was founded in 1850 with James Poole as the editor. The Central Canadian was organized in 1876 by W. W. Cliff and then became The Carleton Place Canadian which amalgamated The Herald.
From Jennifer Fenwick Irwin: The Marching Saints practiced upstairs. The Loyal Orange Lodge #48 also met upstairs above the Eating Place until 1992. You can still see where the sign used to be between the windows, just under the tin cornice in this photo:
Frank Davis was born in 1874 and was a very active citizen in Carleton Place. He was the editor of the Central Canadian Newspaper for over 30 years (1914-1945.) He also spent 12 years as editor of the Merrickville Star. On top of all that he formed a partner ship with Aja Roe, editor of the Carleton Place Herald in 1938 and the two town papers amalgamated to become the Carleton Place Canadian. He was also an active worker for town causes and a constant supporter of the Conservative Pary. He also was a participant in lawn bowling, golf and curling. He passed in 1953. –-Carleton Place Chamber of Commerce