Ingredients from AllRecipes
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
- Add all ingredients to list
- In top of double boiler, combine brown sugar, cornstarch, salt and milk. Stir and keep stirring until it thickens.
- Mix in egg yolks, stir and keep cooking until it thickens.
- Remove from heat, and add butter or margarine and vanilla. Keep stirring.
- Pour into cooked pie crust. Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 5 minutes or until brown.
While it may seem daunting, a basic meringue is nothing more than a mixture of beaten egg whites and sugar. It’s a must-have topping for many a desserts – everything from a classic lemon meringue pie to a heavenly baked alaska – and if you follow these few simple steps you’ll be a master meringue maker in no time.
Things You’ll Need
- A glass or metal mixing bowl
- Electric mixer
- 3 egg whites – room temperature
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar