In 1910 a public vote in Carleton Place endorsed a waterworks installation bylaw. Twenty-five thousand feet of steel pipe was ordered from Scotland. The excavation contractor from Kingston began work with thirty Bulgarians, who were quartered in the old Caldwell sawmill boarding house in the town park, a dozen Italians accommodated in the Leech school house building, and a dozen Romanians in addition to local excavation workers.
The Leech School was built of Beckwith limestone by marble works owner Mr. Leech as his residence along with *Isaac Willoughby. This building also served as a two-room school for many years known as the Leech School.
Marble dealer James Leech lived there and then it was owned by James Jelly turn of century, who worked for CPR as a road master. It became a school WE THINK in 1895 – that’s the first time it is marked as “school house” on a map.
Photo attached taken of Leech School in 1901–Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum
With files and photos from the Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum