Carleton Place’s own Mr. D. Findlay was the first chairman of our local hospital board. He was also instrumental in putting forth the motion that we desperately needed a hospital in Carleton Place. Before our hospital was built, our local residents had to travel to Almonte or the Ottawa Civic Hospital. In August of 1946, Mayor Coleman announced that a decision had finally been made to begin building a hospital.
An application to the Ontario Government for a charter to operate a hospital was the next step, and it was received in June 1950. A public meeting was called, and the first board of directors was formed. Soon after in March 1951 the firm of Grever and Smith Architects of Kingston were hired to draw up the plans, and in January of 1953 the firm of M. Sullivan and son Ltd. of Arnprior was given the contract to build the hospital.
It wasn’t until 1953 that Honorable George Doucette turned the sod and later that year the first cornerstone was laid. As soon as July of 1954, the general public of Carleton Place was allowed to view the completed hospital, and in 1955 the hospital was officially opened. That year marked the end of more than 8 years of effort to construct a 30 bed hospital. By 1961 the occupancy had increased to the extent that an expansion was desperately needed.
Tenders were called, and by the fall of 1966 the work was completed, and the hospital had increased from 30 to 52 beds. A study was completed in 1978 that showed more space was needed- especially for out-patients. In 1980 the board of directors were seeking new ways to expand services without burdening the tax payers.
1955 Ottawa Journal
1956 Ottawa Journal