1958—Back row: Roger Easson, Jack McLaughlin, Bobby Richardson, Brian Clifford, Bobby Nesbitt, Teddy Letts, Tim Walford, Alan Dryden. Third row: Jean Baker, Joan Baker, Christine Corneil, Lou Ann Cochran, Linda Johnston, Deborah Johnston, Linda Miner, Cathy McNeely.
Second row: Brian Saunders, Alan Poirier, Allan Stevens, Barry Richardson, Victor Bennett, Paul McDowall, Steven Dickie, Ricky Coyles . Front Row: Keith Jinkinson, Ruth Wilson, Diana Wilson, Raymond Coulon, Bonnie Rasinhurg, Ross Trimble, Carol Ann Dalton, Gerald Beyers. The teacher is Miss Ollie Robertson.
Thanks to Terry Kirkpatrick for the name changes– this is how we keep history alive by working together and getting it right.
Talk about your portables at other elementary schools…
There was such a scarcity of accommodation for the pupils of Central School that it got to a point that they had to do something. So what did they do? Tents? A scenic view from the roof? Teachers struggled to be heard above the din of 40 plus kids per class, and kids struggled to hear the teacher and keep up with instruction. Central School was definitely leaving no child behind, they were burying them.
There was no portables in those days, and they had to come up with a solution for the over-population of each classroom. So they made the only solution they could. A partition was erected in the centre of Principal Caswell’s room to provide an extra classroom. No word on how much privacy Principal Caswell had! The Central School was located where the present Post Office is and was torn down in 1963.