— Ottawa Journal 1959–
—-In August 24 1961—-
Outside, the historic stone walls remained the same in 1961, but the interior was transformed to contain a spacious dining room complete with wall to wall broadloom and attractive draperies. The decorative theme was brown with blue accents. Everything from light snacks to full course meals would be served daily in that grand ole lady of Carleton Place. The main reason for the overhaul was because of the devastating fire in 1959 that destroyed the top floor. There were now 22 bedrooms and a second floor writing room and TV Lounge. During the recent renovation owner David Lemay discovered an old deed in which the property was sold in 1869 for $50. Not a typo-50 bucks!
Long gone were the days of the forefathers of the pioneers and the travelers from the old logging days. The Mississippi Hotel also once accommodated sample rooms for merchants who came by horse and buggy from surrounding Valley towns. There was a great ice house alongside the hotel, and the beloved livery where a romantic couple could rent a horse and buggy. Remembering the year 1961– when David and Lorraine Lemay extended an invitation to all to visit and inspect the modernized interior of the old-new Mississippi Hotel.
1961 and 2013
The Old Carleton Place Mississippi Hotel
Modern photos by Linda Seccaspina