Childhood memories is Sunday evenings when we would all watch The Wonderful World of Disney and eat popcorn. My favorite was my Grandmother’s soft caramel popcorn. I thought adding Chef Ben White’s Caramel Corn popcorn would be perfect to go along with our Drive-In story today.
Homemade Caramel Corn Recipe
* 9-10 cups of popcorn (approximately one 80g-90g bag of microwave popcorn)
* 125 mL (1/2 cup) butter or margarine
* 60 mL (1/4 cup) brown sugar
* 125 mL (1/2 cup) Butterscotch Fondue Mix
* 30 mL (2 Tbsp.) light corn syrup
1. Heat oven to 170°C/325°F.
2. Place popcorn in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
3. In a small saucepan melt butter, add remaining ingredients, and mix well.
4. Pour mixture over popcorn and toss gently to coat.
5. Spread out coated popcorn in a 12″ x 15″ pan, or our Stoneware Baking Sheet, and bake popcorn for approximately 10 minutes, stirring twice.
6. Cool popcorn on pan, continuing to stir until completely cool to separate popcorn and prevent sticking to the pan.
7. Serve popcorn immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Some of you know Ben White as Blair and Teri White’s son. A few of you recognize him as the nephew of Bill and Bob White. I know him because he is my neighbour, Joyce White’s grandson. It doesn’t matter how you met him, you should be aware that the fourteen year old High-Schooler is an up and coming triple threat to the Food Network chefs.
Ben and his brother Emmett share my Celiac disease, so all Ben’s recipes are gluten-free. His Mother has also set up a Facebook page called Go Gluten Free so everyone can share their gluten free recipes. As he told his father, local plumber, Blair White,
“Dad, you fix peoples pipes, I fix up people’s tastebuds